You can type here any text you want

how do the carbed cars work?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
It's a draw thru system, turbo sits between the carb and intake. The 86/87 SFI IC cars are a blow thru system.

Turbo6Smackdown said:
yea, how though? how does it DRAW the air in?
Like the SFI cars the exhuast spins the turbine wheels, it draws the air/fuel mix out of the carb and pushes it down into the intake. Here's a pic, in the center is the compressor foot that connects to the intake.
carbturbo1.jpg

Well my guess is would be that the turbo spins, creates suction through carb and intake=boost. I don't know how to explain it, never went to college, i'm stupid.

Yup

yup. The carb sits on a seperate manifold that bolts onto the compressor housing instead of an intake pipe. The turbo spools, sucks the air/fuel mix through the compressor housing right out of the carb :eek: I know, I cant get over it, that means the blades on the compressor side must be very clean :D

so, are these pre '84 versions worth a dam? I mean, can one actually tune them? or are they soo obscure, noone gives a **** anymore. Just doing a recon to see if theres a real market for em, and a good support set. Cuz i seem em goin cheap all the time, and would LOVE to have a nice, bone stock, grey, carbed 83. I think theyre sexy, and a challenge to work with. I love challenges.

You're just like me. I've been trying to find a nice clean carbed turbo car within driving distance for a long time. I don't want to pay more than 1500 bucks but I've seen ones in real nice shape go for 500 bucks! I too would like one to play with/ daily driver and maybe someday put some nice heads on it, mod the turbo, plenumn downpipe etc to see what these things are actually capable of on REAL street gas. An 83 would be awesome but I'd take an older on if price and condition reflected it. If u don't want it, let me know. Be in the market to buy one around the 1st of the year.

i'll tell you

I'm serious, I really enjoy mine. I do plan on doing upgrades too, But sometime in the future. For now I enjoy the ride, the car runs so smooth it makes me sick since I dont have a dime more than the exhaust in it, and the elky has over 20k in it and its always a thought its going to break something :eek: buy one, you'll love it.....

One run in the 12's before he went SFI(FC227), B4Black has his running high 14's on stock motor and turbo. He now has a hogged out turbo, but now needs to get a higher stall TC. He'll be in the 13's with it next year. I'm a couple of tenths behind him on lower boost on a pegleg.

a mid 14 carbed car is all i would ever want from a daily driver to be honest. that would be good enough for me. i just want a floor shifting one, that has a solid bottom end, decent paint, and stock wheels. grey, or black or dark red would be sweet.

So do you guys think theres a decent amount of people on here to help me tune one if i find one? where do you get plumbing from?

Postons headers for the 84-85 hotair cars are a bolt on to the 79-83 carbed motors.

Yes they are. I installed a set last year. I am in the process of having a new uppipe made though do to the flange being a slight bit wallowed out from the factory header.

:biggrin:

Attachments

• 83manifolds.jpg
    83manifolds.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 100
  • Headers_and_crossover.JPG
    Headers_and_crossover.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 60
Back