How do u guys give rear brakes more holding power?

stangdrvr

Turbomustang guy here, just curious how you guys go about giving the rear brakes more clamping power for staging? I want the brakes to hold tight for the 2 step, but the drums in the rear don't grab on very tight(stock ford drums). I was told there is some sort of mod the turbobuick guys are doing to the brake lines with a valve to make it hold tighter in the rear...any insight on this?

More commonly we use softer brake shoes which we have to buy 2 sets of so we can use the larger ones only.Then we use S-10 pickup manual brake wheel cyls.This usually does the trick for most without getting into valves.Maybe you could use Lincoln or truck brakes from another Ferd with the same type axle???

We use 4 long shoes (the cheaper the better), larger brake cylinders and use a line lock for the burnout to avoid heating up the brakes.

I was hoping to go cheaper than a transbrake to build boost. Transbrakes for c4's are no less than $500. I can get a two step unit for about $190... I asked another turbomustanger about the bigger shoes trick and he said it wouldn't hold his car...
What about valving the brake fluid to only the back brakes?

The "valve" thing is called the brake jumper. When engerized, it bypasses the proportional valve which allows for more pressure to the rear brakes than normal. From what I have been told, you go from about 700 psi to over 1200 psi.
Then when you de-engerize the valve the rear brakes are normal again.

Gary

Bruce @ agressive sells the brake jumper....586) 771-9122

The jumper works terrific! The instant you release the button your brakes proportion completely normal for safer stopping at the far end. The one I bought is excellent, the fittings supplied with it were not. I replaced them with proper brass fittings and steel brake-line and no BS when I say I can hold 12 psi in the rain!
HTH
Jim

Originally posted by UNGN
We use 4 long shoes (the cheaper the better), larger brake cylinders and use a line lock for the burnout to avoid heating up the brakes.

What are the cheapest(best) ones around for us?