You can type here any text you want

How do you sand the lip of GTA wheels in refinishing?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GoldHawg

All,
I'm ready to refinish/buff out the aluminum lips on my set of GTA wheels. I've seen a number of posts that say to sand repeatedly, with progressively finer (and some posts recommend wet sanding) sand paper. Others add the easiest way is to jack up the car and put the bare wheels on the rear axle, start it and put in gear. Holding the sandpaper in place while allowing the motion of the wheel to do the work.

My question. My GTAs are in exceptionally fine shape; I suspect that I could go almost immediately to very fine sandpaper and then buff out. I've already stripped the clearcoat, and the centers were powdercoated black. EXCEPT--each wheel has a couple of half inch long dings that go down ~ 1/16 inch or probably less. Question is do I need to take off the 1/16 inch all the way around (as you would if you had the wheel spinning), or just aggressively sand at the few spots I have? How 'bout using a dremmel tool for the couple of gouges to get it level, and then sand as per the recommendations?

I've never done this before, and I want to do it right. I will be starting w/the two rear wheels, however, cuz I hope to ultimately find two more fronts.
TIA

I just got mine back from the rim shop. It cost me $600 for all 4 wheels to powdercoat black and then shoot a clear powder coat on them. I questioned him about sanding down the lips for a chrome/shiny look. He told me the man hours involved in that are out of my price range.:eek: I had done a search on the boards about this. A few of the guys have done it and they say it is a massive undertaking. My 2 cents is that let someone machine down the clear off the lips and put the clear powdercoat on. I like my results. A night and day difference from before.

Attachments

• back%20shot.JPG
    back%20shot.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 293
  • frt%20whel.JPG
    frt%20whel.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 280
  • side%20shot.JPG
    side%20shot.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 275
I could leave the gouges alone; there are only a couple small thin dings per wheel. But I will be polishing these babies prior to the clear powdercoat going on. I'm willing to spend a couple of hours per wheel. I know I can have the basic rims gleaming w/that amount of effort. I did a small section of one wheel w/semichrome and it was starting to look good after about 10 minutes.

How have the rest of you attacked any of the small dings/pits/gouges? I'd really like this perfect prior to the powdercoat.

Wheel dings

I had mine polished professionally and they removed the minor curb rash by sanding the lip. He explained that this is a time consuming process to get the lip even all the way around. If I were you, I would have the lip machined down to remove the dings and keep it even.
Dan

I may need to be clearer, especially since I can't find my digital camera. When I was referring to the lip, I meant anywhere on the aluminum, not just the very edge where you get curb rash. My small gouges are on the interior of the aluminum part, in between the very edge and the honeycomb center. So I'm not sure a machinist would take care of my problem.

Well I finished the sanding process on one of the rears. I started w/240 grit, then 340 then 600 then 1000 and finished w/1500. I bought sandpaper that was waterproof to wetsand at each step. I got all the dings out, and after the 1500 the lip was silky smooth. I've polished the rim with some mother's stuff, then used semi-chrome. Looks very nice, but not quite as shiny as I'd like. Maybe this is as good as it gets. Anybody use any other approach to final polishing? I just used a cotton rag and the polishers mentioned. Anybody use a buffing wheel and compound? Pics include the one I finished (on the left) next to the other rear wheel which has not been treated but the clearcoat has been stripped (on the right). Watcha think?
p1010259.jpg

p1010260.jpg

p1010261.jpg

p1010262.jpg

p1010263.jpg

The edges on mine were done very similar to GoldHawg's. The cost was $150.00 per wheel. The high polished edge is more maintenance, but I do like the look.

Attachments

• DSC00977 (Large).jpg
    DSC00977 (Large).jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 191
Well I finished the sanding process on one of the rears. I started w/240 grit, then 340 then 600 then 1000 and finished w/1500. I bought sandpaper that was waterproof to wetsand at each step. I got all the dings out, and after the 1500 the lip was silky smooth. I've polished the rim with some mother's stuff, then used semi-chrome. Looks very nice, but not quite as shiny as I'd like. Maybe this is as good as it gets. Anybody use any other approach to final polishing? I just used a cotton rag and the polishers mentioned. Anybody use a buffing wheel and compound? Pics include the one I finished (on the left) next to the other rear wheel which has not been treated but the clearcoat has been stripped (on the right). Watcha think?
p1010259.jpg

p1010260.jpg

p1010261.jpg

p1010262.jpg

p1010263.jpg

I used some small buffing cones the I put on my small air/angle grinder with the sticks of polishing compound.You would not beleive the shine and saved many hours compared to doing it by hand in the past.

TLIMITED. Could you be specific as to where to buy/what type cones (are their any differences in the cones {softness, aggressiveness) and the polishing compound. I've never done the polishing compound/buffing routine, and I suspect there may be different #s for the aggressiveness of the compound. Like I progressively went smoother on the sandpaper, do I have to do likewise w/the cones/compound? I really want to get these babies gleaming like chrome before putting the clear powdercoat on....

Thx again!

I just finished a set of T-wheels. The were so nasty I had to resort to glass bead to clean them up. I used greasless polishing compund to get them down to a finish that could be polished. 80 grit, then 220 then 320 grit greasless and from there I went to tripoli

I just got mine back from the rim shop. It cost me $600 for all 4 wheels to powdercoat black and then shoot a clear powder coat on them. I questioned him about sanding down the lips for a chrome/shiny look. He told me the man hours involved in that are out of my price range.:eek: I had done a search on the boards about this. A few of the guys have done it and they say it is a massive undertaking. My 2 cents is that let someone machine down the clear off the lips and put the clear powdercoat on. I like my results. A night and day difference from before.

That is a gorgeous car you have there. Very nice. I like your attention to detail.

Back