How easy to launch car with non-posi rear?

Actually the right rear tire is trying to go up, gravity pulls the car down, hence the squat. Lots to think about back there...

So which is it? Driver's side up or down? lol.

Regarding the rear axle housing, the drivers side gets planted (pushed down), while the passenger side is lifted. This is due to the engine torque trying to rotate the housing. Which is why the passenger tire does the one-wheel-peel, it has less traction.

RemoveBeforeFlight

That makes sense. Though why do people want passenger side air bags? Shouldn't you want a driver's side air bag instead?

It helps put more of the cars weight on the right rear tire. Instead of a soft spring to compress, the airbag makes it more difficult for the rear to lift the passenger rear tire.

RemoveBeforeFlight

That makes zero sense. Take a teeter totter. If you have a kid on one end and an adult on the other, why would you put weight over the adults side? To me, you'd pump up, or counterweight the side going UP not down... The side that's going down doesn't need any more help, it's already being planted.

That makes zero sense. Take a teeter totter. If you have a kid on one end and an adult on the other, why would you put weight over the adults side? To me, you'd pump up, or counterweight the side going UP not down... The side that's going down doesn't need any more help, it's already being planted.

An open diff on a 12 sec car is a bad idea. Get an eaton limited slip and have fun.

Reactions: BMR

Not sure what to tell ya, a right rear airbag works. So the physics is also working. It isn't a teeter totter we are launching here. And it isn't the adult (heavy) side that we adding the air bag to, it is being added to the rear corner of the car where the tire is being lifted (less weight, less traction).

RemoveBeforeFlight

You said the passenger side is being lifted. Tell me how a fully inflated air bag in the opposite spring would not counteract that.

The description you've been given does put weight on the end of the teeter totter with the child. It is the right rear that is being lifted off the ground and it is the right rear that gets the air bag.

When the engine pics up the left front of the chassis, it transfers weight to the right rear. Much like a teeter totter (only crossways across the chassis). The RF and LR tires are the fulcrum.

The 'opposite and equal reaction' to the torque is to rotate the axle plant the LR tire and lift the RR tire. The airbag takes advantage of the chassis doing down to counteract the lift on the RR tire.

The axle and the chassis are getting loaded in opposite directions. Newton wrote a song about it.

But if the passenger side's being lifted isn't the driver's side being depressed then? An air bag in the opposite side wouldn't counteract the other side being lifted?
Again,no one is suggesting that we put a bag in the drivers side/left/downward moving spring. We are saying that the bag needs to go into the passenger side/right/upward moving spring.
This is the same thing we are doing when we shorten the right upper rear control arm on a parallel four link rear suspension. Both the air bag in the right rear and the shortened rear upper control arm of the parallel four link take advantage of the energy,that the chassis is producing,to create down force on the right rear tire. The goal is to create enough force to equal the force being exerted on the left rear tire.

Last edited:
Again,no one is suggesting that we put a bag in the drivers side/left/downward moving spring. We are saying that the bag needs to go into the passenger side/right/upward moving spring.
This is the same thing we are doing when we shorten the right upper rear control arm on a parallel four link rear suspension. Both the air bag in the right rear and the shortened rear upper control arm of the parallel four link take advantage of the energy,that the chassis is producing,to create down force on the right rear tire. The goal is to create enough force to equal the force being exerted on the left rear tire.

I know. I'M the one that's saying it. Because the air bag on the passenger side makes no sense lol. If the driver's side is already being forced downward, unloading the passenger side, why would you help that issue by putting it on the pass side? I'd put it on the opposite side that's being unloaded, so as to counteract it. Putting a bag on the side that's being unloaded would only compound that issue.

Think of it as the pass airbag pushing DOWN on the RR axle. If the airbag is not there the axle is free to compress the relatively weak spring. Does THAT make sense to you ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't want your spring to be compressed?? It'll unload if you don't get it compressed.

Last edited:
I can't come up with a better way to describe this than what has already been used.

To the OP, if you can afford a turbo Buick, you should be able to afford a nice Auburn limited slip. Stop being cheap and make your car more fun lol.