You can type here any text you want

How Fast Can You GO??

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

DaJoker

DUMB QUESTION MEMBER
With all the stock TTA parts...ie injectors, turbo, intercooler. How much boost can you crank with stock injectors?:confused:

I would expect low 12s depending on air conditions. Run it at 22PSI with C16 or alky. Alky may work better then C16 because of the cooling effects. Some guys have gone high 11s. But that is not the norm. 12.10-12.30s should be an attainable goal. Using a cut out for the test pipe as well. My car picked up 5 tenths by opening the dump. 12.50 run 1. Opened the dump on run 2 and went 12.05.

7-8 years ago there were quite a few of us on here that had stock cars running high 11's. I was the slowest with only turning an 11.99 @ 113 with a 1.63 60ft, stock except for an ATR pipe and K&N, dump with cutout, stageright brake, Thrasher race chip, M/T ET Streets on stock wheels(26x11.5x16), and 22psi of boost running Sunoco Maximal 116 octane. Though at Buicks @ Bristol 2000 I ran 114 octane and the car ran faster but wouldnt 60ft due to a worn posi. Should have gone quicket/faster if I could have locked the converter but the lockup never worked in that car(bad converter).

I think Mike S was one of the fastest stock TTA's back then running I think 11.7-11.8 at 114-116mph. He then upgraded to a PT51, CAS V4, and MSD 50 injectors and went 11.25 @ 121mph. Quite a few others were turning 11.8-11.9 with stockers, and I'm sure grumpy had stock TTA's in the 11's scince 1989 ;) All of these cars could probrobly have gone faster with alky.

In my opinion, any one of these cars in good running condition should be able to turn a high 11 second run(11.8-11.9 and 113-115mph). Unless of course you run on poorly prepped tracks or at high elevations. Most of my runs are made at Englishtown which is near sea level, but the car ran just as fast or faster mph wise at Bristol which is around 1500ft I think.

Steve

Wow I didn't think they could go that fast with the stock injectors!! Cool now I have something to shoot for!:cool:

Wow I didn't think they could go that fast with the stock injectors!! Cool now I have something to shoot for!:cool:

I don't know, I'm running much slower and being told I should upgrade injectors. My direct scan says I'm running over 100% duty cycle on the injectors. Here is the page where my problems are being discussed - see what you think.
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/ge...h/217621-1st-run-direct-scan-tuning-help.html

If anyone can give any suggestions I'm listening but I'm certainly not near 11's yet.

If anyone can give any suggestions I'm listening but I'm certainly not near 11's yet.

I dont know how your chip is setup or if it's adjustable but if not you might want to talk to Eric Marshall. When I used to run stock TTA's around all I knew was thrasher chips and they worked great but I'm sure a turbotweak chip would have worked better. How much timing does your chip have?

13.11 @ 107mph sounds like you need a tire on the back, but the mph seems about right for pumpgas and 17psi of boost on a stocker. I used to run 12.7 @ 107mph on pumpgas with drag radials and 17-18psi of boost. I never had directscan back then, only a scanmaster so I dont know what my duty cycle was but I know there was enough injector with the thrasher race chip to keep the O2's around .770 at 22psi of boost on my car.

Here's my old cars combo and what it ran
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/turbo-trans-am-tech/109292-track-times-tta-861-a.html

I dont know how your chip is setup or if it's adjustable but if not you might want to talk to Eric Marshall. When I used to run stock TTA's around all I knew was thrasher chips and they worked great but I'm sure a turbotweak chip would have worked better. How much timing does your chip have?]

My chip is not adjustable and I will be calling Eric later today for a new chip to run my 50# injectors. I'm still concerned though why I'm running out of injector at 17 psi and why the 4.4 of knock retard. If I had the downpipe on already I'd understand. I really don't know the timing on my current chip, is there any way to tell using the direct scan?

13.11 @ 107mph sounds like you need a tire on the back, but the mph seems about right for pumpgas and 17psi of boost on a stocker. I used to run 12.7 @ 107mph on pumpgas with drag radials and 17-18psi of boost. I never had directscan back then, only a scanmaster so I dont know what my duty cycle was but I know there was enough injector with the thrasher race chip to keep the O2's around .770 at 22psi of boost on my car.]

Everybody had a thrasher chip 8 years ago. I had one. I did always hear some spark knock on 92 pump gas unless I gave it some octane boost. I don't hear it with my current chip. The 13.11 run had no tire spin but major driver inexperience. That was the first time I have ever raced, at any track, ever. I ran a 13.29, 13.19, and 13.11 respectively. I'd probably had a 12.99 if I kept racing that day :) . I was pulling 2.25 60' times because of my holeshot. Those runs were not on pump gas but actually 110 octane and 22psi.

How in the He** did you get 15-16psi with a stock torque converter? :confused: What RPM? I don't have a line lock or trans brake. Just foot braking it. Last year with the stock converter I had 1-2psi of boost at launch and now with my stall converter at 2800 rpm I think it is showing around 6psi. You say 16??? I did notice the 3" downpipe that should help with spool up but man!! I do have some drag radials coming so I'm sure that and my converter it will really help my 60' times.

Thanks for the help!

Stalls only matter until the boost comes on. Once the boost hits it can flash to whatever it likes. It comes on fast so watch it.

You can check timing by looking at the spark advance on the direct scan.

Jason

You can check timing by looking at the spark advance on the direct scan.
Jason

O.k., at idle my spark advance shows 23.6 at WOT at 20.4. Is that a lot?:confused:

Sorry Kma967 for poaching your post but I sure have been learning a lot these past few days. :)

Thanks for the help!

No problem....keeps me learning. Just found out when I ran my 13.30@99.68 I was only running 14 lbs of boost.(just installed another boost gauge):redface: Guess its time to "adjust" my wastegate.:biggrin:

O.k., at idle my spark advance shows 23.6 at WOT at 20.4. Is that a lot?:confused:

Sorry Kma967 for poaching your post but I sure have been learning a lot these past few days. :)

Thanks for the help!

That is pretty normal...If you don't knock, you are fine.

Jason

That is pretty normal...If you don't knock, you are fine.

Jason

That is the thing I'm trying to figure out. I was getting 4.4 of knock retard and don't know why. I was running 92 octane that still smells of race gas I used last summer. I turned the boost down to 17 psi. I didn't think I had a lot of timing so what would be causing the knock. I should be able to run at least 19psi with no knock running the mixed race/92 octane. I am stumped.:confused:

You are doing the rite thing by tuning it out first on low boost without KR. I tuned my car out on 18psi (93 octane) and 0.0 kr in 3rd. I installed a power plate just before that, so it probably allowed for a little more boost. That was on a thrasher 92 chip. Stepped up to Eric Marshall's chips with alky and the car felt like a freight train!! 11.3's on stock longblock.:cool:

How in the He** did you get 15-16psi with a stock torque converter? :confused: What RPM? I don't have a line lock or trans brake.

I had a stage right brake, just engage the brake and floored it. 15-16psi is all it would go, I was able to get 10psi launches off the foot brake using the ebrake.

20.4* wot is a little more than I like for a street chip. The thrashers were I think around 18*, never had a problem with knock. My current chip starts around 20* in first and scales back to 17.9* by third gear(19psi on pumpgas).

Maybe the new injectors will help, after all the stockers are getting up there in age and could be causing alot of your problems.

Cannot count on that pump to push the fuel needed after all this time as well

Pump, injectors, hot wire kit, turbo tweak chip and check the valve springs. Don't add anything else(turbo, tc, etc).

Cannot count on that pump to push the fuel needed after all this time as well

Pump, injectors, hot wire kit, turbo tweak chip and check the valve springs. Don't add anything else(turbo, tc, etc).

I've got the pump, didn't know about hot wire at the time. I'm not sure how much HP I can build without it? Talking to Eric about a ttchip tonight. How do you check the valve springs??

could use a straight edge to measure how far each rocker comes up when you turn the motor over by hand. Only way to do it unless you wanna take em out and measure them.....

could use a straight edge to measure how far each rocker comes up when you turn the motor over by hand. Only way to do it unless you wanna take em out and measure them.....

There is no way I am going to pull each one out and then put them back in. Springs are cheap enough that I'll just replace them. Probably next summer. Although as long as I'm replacing valve springs I might as well just install Champion aluminum heads right?;)

There is no way I am going to pull each one out and then put them back in. Springs are cheap enough that I'll just replace them. Probably next summer. Although as long as I'm replacing valve springs I might as well just install Champion aluminum heads right?;)

And when you do that, you can take out the heater/AC box too!

Few areas of the car I dont mess with. Fuel is one. If your injectors are going static.. time for bigger ones. Period. Messing with static injectors will get you a nice head gasket job sooner than latter.

Stock TTA fuel pump is good until mid 12's.. faster than that.. needs a 340 or better pump. Stock injectors are now almost 20 years old.. careful.

Back