You can type here any text you want

How fast with PT6152E on pump gas?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Marc87GN

I think I have a good setup for straight pump gas, but I'm not sure how fast I should expect to go. I would like high 11s at about 115 mph, but that doesn't mean it will happen. Worse case , I will call Jack Cotton after Xmas and get a BB T70 to get the job done, but I was wondering what should I really expect. I'm able to run 18-20 psi in 50-60 degree air without any knock up until about 105 mph and then when the converter locks, I get about .7-1.5 degrees. I tried locking it earlier, but the boost climbed to 23 psi and I would get about 4-5 degrees of knock so now I run it unlocked until over 100 mph.

The other problem is the rpms only drop from 5500 to 5200 on a shift so I'm sure I'm blowing through the converter a little bit. I will probably have it tightened a bit to make a little more efficient, but boost comes right up with it the way it is. Anyway, any ideas are appreciated.

I've gone 7.8's in the 1/8th mile in my car with that turbo on pump gas which is like 12.3's or so...20 psi, 18* of timing, totally stock long block.

IMO with your motor work and assuming a good 60' you should go 11's.

That turbo will take you into the 10's with the right combo. You have what's needed to run 120+ mph in the 1/4...no problem with tuning. I ran 120.23 mph with a TE44 and an otherwise stock motor + alky.

Thanks for the replies guys. I will have to hit the track in the spring and see where I am and go from there. if I'm not where I would like to be, then I'm moving up to a BB T-70. I think that would definitely put me deep in the 11s on pump gas. I may just say screw it and get Razors Alky kit and spin the life out of the PT61. We will see after a few passes on a good tire.

Hi,

i have built several turbo buicks with similar combos to yours.we currently have a car with a 61 on it with VPE heads and intake that goes consistent 11.6's at 117 with a non-lock up trans(th-350).it has stock suspension.
we are running about 17-18 pounds of boost on "pure" 93 octane and a TURBOTWEAK chip.

Nick,

It should go 11s around 113-115 on pump gas i would think. But i would highly recomend Razors alky kit, its too easy not to. I have a friend with a 61, VPE heads, stock cam, stock untouched shortblock and alky going 11.07 at 119 (mph should be high, its a tuning problem) on only 24 psi and drag radials

turbotwister said:
Hi,

i have built several turbo buicks with similar combos to yours.we currently have a car with a 61 on it with VPE heads and intake that goes consistent 11.6's at 117 with a non-lock up trans(th-350).it has stock suspension.
we are running about 17-18 pounds of boost on "pure" 93 octane and a TURBOTWEAK chip.

Nick,

I would be real happy with 11.60s @ 117 mph. Thanks! The car definitely feels strong and 1st & 2nd are useless on street tires. I can't wait to put on some D/Rs and feel what 1st pulls like. I have a little trouble with the boost jumping 1-2 psi when it locks up at 105 mph and I get some knock. Other than that, I get zero knock with 20 psi all the way to just over 100 mph.

Lock's up?? or do you mean 4th gear??

If I were you I'd leave it in 3rd at the track.

Slow91z said:
Lock's up?? or do you mean 4th gear??

If I were you I'd leave it in 3rd at the track.

With the Extender, I can have it lock up from 45-105 mph. I had it in the 70s, but it would lock and the boost climbed to 23 psi and I would get some knock. It felt great, but 4.5 degrees didn't sound good. This is the only way it stays pinned at 20 psi and I get zero knock. If I lock it up earlier, the boost climbs and I get some knock.

RE; Maybe easier

I had a GN.60,000 org miles. stock block. stree chip with 36 pnd injecters.

Stretched intercooler. downpipe,49 turbo. Drove the car 80 miles to e -town. Car was hot form drive. Went 12.18 first run. 20 pnds boost 18 in second. Point is I had fun with this car. Though stolen.

I am now looking for a simple motor. I drove a stock block car with a 67 turbo injecters forgot. Pump Car freeked me out. Combination. Maybe 70 is too much. Just given you some thought......Rob

FWIW... the OP of this thread sold his car nearly two years ago.....

You dug this thread up from the dead.....

Back