How fast with stock turbo/injectors?

KrisR

Just curious,

I was talking with my friend Steve about his former '87 GN (sold it last year), and he says he went 11.30s at 115mph on the stock turbo and injectors and no alky. Stock converter/trans too.

Lots of fuel pressure, lots of timing, lots of octane, stretch IC, 28x10 slicks. Seems out of reach when reading about so many cars that have big injectors and larger turbos and alky running 12s all day long. He said he turned up the FP until it would 'pop' at WOT and then turn it down a hair. He never popped a headgasket or broke anything.

I understand it's a lot about tuning, but what he says seems to go against a lot of what I learn here.

:confused:

Kris

Don't think I believe that one.
115mph on stock injectors?
No way, regardless of how much FP he ran unless he hollowed that car out like a canoe and it weighed 2500lbs.
S.

Not unless some serious lightening was involved as Snorman said. In "NHRA Stock eliminator" trim, it's totally possible, but that's not stock.

I've seen TTA's go 115 on the stock injectors, so in theory it's possible, but you have to ask yourself, Why? Also, back in the day, 7th injectors were pretty plentiful and he may have left that out. Running an 11.30 with only a 115 mph trap would mean a 1.5 60 ft which would be possible with a 15-20 psi of boost E-brake leave.

I Know I wouldn't want the car when the guy was done with it.

I think Rick (1BADTTA) ran a pretty impressive time for being stock besides the basics i.e fuel pump etc.
Think it was a 12.9@111

I belive the 115 but not the 11.3... I have 2 friends that have run 114/115 on stock turbo/inj/IC/converter but nowhere near 11.3's and one is a factory light weight T while the other is a GN. The GN went 11.93 @115 60' 1.53 while the T ran 11.86 @114 60' 1.61 (?)...

ks

I worry about guys who go 1.50's on 60 foots with nearly stock cars. I wouldn't want those cars when they're done with 'em...

:D

I wouldnt run on injectors that were beyond static. Even with the 115 especially when a stock turbo runs out o steam, it would need to trap 94-95 in the 1/8.

Yank the hose of the turbo, leave at 20 PSI with slicks, cross your fingers..

Ask for the time slip :)