You can type here any text you want

How long can gas sit before it goes bad ?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

434nova

My car has been parked for about a year and now I'm getting ready to fire it up. Is there anything I can put in the tank to give it some juice ? My plan was just to drive it regular and when it goes down fill her up with some fresh 93 octane. Do you think the gas is stale from sitting so long ? Car has been parked in a heated garage. Thanks for any input.

Mine fired after setting at least two years. Plus the gas could have been older yet. It Also was garaged . Maybe I added some new gas but I'm not sure. I changed the fuel filter not long after and it was clean when I cut it.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Hope you added some fuel stabilizer before you put it away in storage?

After sitting in hibernation over the winter, I usually just run the tank close to empty (no boost) and then fill with Sunoco 94 octane before I hit the loud pedal!

According to my sources in the petroleum industry pump gas starts to loose octane in about 3 weeks.

It does vary how fast it degrades depending on ambient temperature and storage conditions.

This is not applicable to leaded race gas which can last a year or more and still maintain its octane rating.

My very low mileage car it has always been stored with leaded race gas and only refresh it every year or 2.

Any GN that I work on with major engine or parts upgrade will have the gas drained if it is 6 months or older.

On some of my cars with little use during the year will have the tank drained once a year when it is low and refilled with ALL fresh fuel.

Gas which has been sitting for a year or more will let you know by its smell how bad it is, so use it to kill your weeds, not take a chance with it in your turbo car!

What's the easiest way to drain the gas in the tank? I'm not gonna take a chance.

Drive it.

If you are really worried add a gallon of xylene to the tank, for about $15 which is a good fuel injector cleaner and also 114 octane or so.

It's in the paint thinner section of any hardware store.

What's the easiest way to drain the gas in the tank? I'm not gonna take a chance.

Attach a hose after removing the schrader valve on the fuel rail by the regulator, apply 12v to the fuel pump lead which is the grey spade connector usually found around the rear of the alternator area.

Back