You can type here any text you want

how many have run "open" exhaust

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

trophystock

Just wondered how loud it was and how much of a difference it made with et and turbo spool time.

I have a cut out on my test pipe that I run open like 90% of the time. I think the car sounds meaner but it could get annoying on a long trip. Any time I go on the freeway for any thing other then racing I close it.

It may just be me but seat of the pants feel is faster with the cut out open but I have never run my car with it closed so I have no clue it it matters...

I like it open on the streets because it makes people think twice about trying you...

It really isn't very loud at all. It definately does have a drone to it that you notice though. I have run almost 1mph faster with it open than closed, but there were also other changes too so I can't really tell you for sure how much of a difference it makes. BTW, 2 TTA's running open dump driving down the street at 40mph can still talk to each other with windows down:D :D

I always thought a short open exhaust on these things made them sound like a tractor(flat low compression sounding).:( My car had a full length no muffler exh when I bought it. It sounded better (more crisp), but still had a hell of a drone to it. Now I run a full length ATR with there crossflow muffler. Car now sounds like a 5.0 with a flowmaster or something. $600 set up and I dont even think they make it any more. My advice is if you want open then keep the system as long as possible to make it sound better in and out of the car.

HTH: Jason

Sounds like crap with it open, its not as loud as an Open Headered V8 but it's loud for the street.

I gained 3 tenths, 3mph by unbolting the stock exhaust and already had a gutted cat. The spool time is almost instant with a stock vertor.

I like the way my car sounds with an open dump.

I also leave mine open about 90% of the time when Im around town. I cap it when im hitting the highway to cover the drone, but mostly to not get pulled over.

I really didn't notice any gains in the 1/4 with it open/closed, i also am running a molester downpipe and the ATR stainless cat back. When im at the track, I think its more consistant capped.

Open it up, hear that whistle!!

~Murt

Originally posted by 1badTTA
BTW, 2 TTA's running open dump driving down the street at 40mph can still talk to each other with windows down:D :D
hehe..a buddy and I always come back from the track with the exhaust uncapped, its great fun going down the hiway side by side uncapped, the little ricers don't ever know what passed them because the turbo whistle is incredible...they think 2 jet cars just passed them :D

I open mine from time to time on short trips. It does get noticed. the jet sound at WOT is unbelievable..

One phrase.. electric cutout..stock exhuast system for the unsuspecting..flip a switch..open exhuast.. yup it works.

i unbolt the exhaust at the track, its really easy, 4 bolts, pull the exhasut to the drivers side half of the cat, put the 2 bolts on then the 3rd just for the bracket and your done. i droped a little over 3/10's doing that. i still had a bit of lag, but my turbo is shot. you can hear the whistle at 10" of vacume, thats very cool. on the street i put a washer inbetween the cat and the exhaust in the botom 2 holes. it really doesn't make it any louder but the turbo whine is there at about 5" of vacume, not very loud but you definatly know what it is. bigger washers obviously make it louder, i like small washers. its fun to play around with and find somewhere that you like it. how else can you make the exhaust sound exactly the way you want it?:cool:

Back