how much are valvesprings worth?

OneLethal87GN

R.I.P. Lethal GN
I am looking to replace the valvesprings on my car and I wanted to know how much of a difference it would make on my performance? My car has a stock 150k mile engine. Approximately 2 tenths be a good guess?

You need to change them if you want the best performance out of your car. I changed mine about 45,000miles ago and am planning to do the job again pretty soon.;)

I think I saw between 2 and 3 tenths. It was the best mod/upgrade that I ever made to the car in seat of the pants driving. The moter used to lay over at about 4500 rpm and I had to slightly peddle the gas to get the car to shift into second. Now it pulls strong to 5500 rpm.

I just did mine with 50k miles, for the money, about $50 plus get Kirbans spring tool, it was the best seat of the pants mod.
Never had traction problems before with 275 BFGDRs, now I can't keep them on the pavement or the track!
I had my TB modded by JAy Jackson while the car was apart and intake ported, but I think most of the power is coming from the new springs.
Be sure to change the valve seals while your at it.
If you haven't changed your timing gear to a stock steel replacement, you'll want to do that before putting in new springs!! Get rid of that plastic gear.

Are you guys using LT1 springs or Comp Cams 980's?
And are you running stock cams or larger ones

What about us guys with low mileage cars? I only have 21,000 on my GN, should I think about changing mine?

Should i just get the whole package from kirbans, springs and tool for 68$. and a set of seals

I would ask Kirban to post or send you the installed height spring pressure for his springs. But definately get the tool from him.

At least Comp. Cams that info. is available and listed.

That is why I went with Comp. Cams 980's.

Just my .02.

Your prolly not gonna believe me, But when I first stsrted racing my car, I changed the valve springs when the motor hit 148K and went from a 14.0 @99 to 13.3 @ 103 ! :eek: Everything else stayed the same including 235/60/15 TA's NON-POSI (netting me 2.1 60') , Boost level, gas type, and chip. I got an instant 40 HP gain! :eek:

I say DO IT AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!

Comp 980's is what I went with using the stock cups without the internal dampener spring, whats with the stock cam, 50k miles on it.
No matter how many miles your motor has on it, if they are the original springs, they are sure to be weak after 15 years.
I had mine measured at a machine shop, at 1.7" w/cups they were at 63#. The new Comp 980s measured in at 81#s with cups and no internal dampener.
Again, BE SURE TO CHANGE YOUR TIMING CHAIN GEAR IF NOT DONE ALREADY :eek: :eek: before you put new springs on it, that is if the plastic original one is still on there.

Is this 2 tenths in the 1/8 or 1/4 mile , just asking our local track is
1/8 mile , 1/4 mile is 45min away. anybody know about the spings poston sell thats what i put in my car just havent been to track yet