How Much Boost?

Mike Mags

I just recently Bought my GN from a guy how has mad some mods. He put in an adjustable waste gate. I noticed that on WOT im getting 18# of boost.I have a good pilar gaudge to read. I dont race my car. Is this too much boost to have just for regular driving? I guess I wouldn't hit 18 # unless im screwing around or passing on the highway.

Before anyone can give you a good answer they are going to need to know what all mods you have. Do you have a scan tool? What octane gas are you running? If you don't have alky then it is probably too much boost but would need to know more about your setup:)

My setup

HIgh oct gas 94. TA-49 turbo, blue top injectors, adj. fuel presure reg. 3" downpipe. All K&N filters.
Still learning about Turbo cars, I hope this helps.
Also currently seeping oil!! Caused by too much boost?
thanks.

It may be able to stand 18 PSI in first and second but be careful with 18 PSI in 3rd with 94 Octane. The load on the car is higher in 3rd gear so they tend to detonate easier out there. Your chip may pull boost in 3rd but watch it.

Excessive detonation = death. Knock Retard is the dark cloud hanging over the entire Turbo Buick universe.

Some have suggested that it takes around 16 degrees of retard before you can actually hear the car "ping". Try to keep retard below 5 degrees in most cases. A Scan tool such as Scanmaster 2 (or even a knock gauge) would be good investment so you can constantly monitor the amount of retard the car is showing. With boost constant, retard can change from fuel load to fuel load.

Did the person you bought the car from say what if anything he had done to the fuel pump? The stocker is marginal and should be one of the first upgrades. Also, change the fuel filter, cheap insurance.

That 49 / Blue Top combination is a great, tried and true combination.

Enjoy your new GN :)