You can type here any text you want

How much Dynamat do I need to do the whole car?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Danster

I have an 87 T-Top GN and I want to do the entire car with Dynamat Extreme.

How much Square footage would I need? I see Amazon sells the Bulk Pack, 9 sheets equals to 36 sq. ft. How many of these would I need?

What do you use to prep the metal before installing it? I'm ready to start that project within a few weeks and wanted to start ordering ahead of time.

Thanks,

Dannyo

one for floor,one for trunk and both doors,some extra for roof,etc....three cases in total should be plenty....doors,trunk and roof is the best results youll see.
run some from the rear window all the way down the floor pan,helps alot too...get the roller tool.

Well it depends on how crazy you get. I have installed a pack and a half and all I have done is the trunk, part of the trunk lid, and a little behind the rear seat. I haven't done anything with the doors yet or under the carpet at all. It doesn't go as far as you would think. As far as prep, I cleaned first with a glass cleaner to get the bulk nasty off the metal. I then followed with rubbing alcohol just before placing the mat. Wear some mechanics gloves when installing the mat because that aluminum foil is really sharp. You will need a plastic scraper and a roller for a nice neat and tight fit. It is worth it but it is a ton of work. One little hint. There are 2 thin metal shields under the car protecting some lines from the exhaust. Slap some scrap pieces on those too. It drove me nuts tring to figure that one out.

Depending on how much bass you have spending too much time under the carpet might be a bit overkill. All of the trunk will need some and at least a big piece in each door but those parts have no "protection" as they sit. The carpet does a bunch to help protect the floor boards. That and they are much stiffer to begin with. My 2 shop packs will cover everthing I want to do. Target things exposed and panels that are flimsy to begin with.

I can have the music REALLY loud with the windows up. Close the doors and besides a few little buzzes (door handles and gas cap) you almost can't tell. The stuff is amazing.

Not to hijack, but another question about Dynamat. I will be replacing my headliner, while I have it out would it be a good idea to Dynamat the roof? I don't have any killer stereo, but thought it might help insulate a little better and reduce the road noise.
Is it worth the effort for the roof?

Not to hijack, but another question about Dynamat. I will be replacing my headliner, while I have it out would it be a good idea to Dynamat the roof? I don't have any killer stereo, but thought it might help insulate a little better and reduce the road noise.
Is it worth the effort for the roof?

the roof is a very good idea too......has factory sound deadning panels that usually fall off....

I think I used 4 boxes of dynamat. dont remember total sqft. added a extra layer of cheap mat on top. I went overkill but I didnt want to question myself with "would it have been quieter if I covered everything?" See pics in sig

Back