You can type here any text you want

How much HP capability?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BaldMenace

When I bought my supposed rebuilt engine I was told it had Kenny detweiler ported heads and intake. I got it disassembled and inspected and just like all the other BA claims it doesn't appear to be the case. How much horsepower are a set of Port matched heads and factory intake capable of supporting without pushing them to the limit with really high boost?

Attachments

• 20231022_161819.jpg
    20231022_161819.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 34
  • 20231022_161801.jpg
    20231022_161801.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 33
  • 20231022_161516.jpg
    20231022_161516.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 35
Those heads and intake look to be ported to me.

You can make 800 hp on iron heads but you will need more boost to make the horsepower. Aluminum heads can flow more in terms of CFM than irons but the cost is the cost.

Have the heads gone through by a good shop and go for it.

What are your goals for the motor?

Those heads and intake look to be ported to me.

You can make 800 hp on iron heads but you will need more boost to make the horsepower. Aluminum heads can flow more in terms of CFM than irons but the cost is the cost.

Have the heads gone through by a good shop and go for it.

What are your goals for the motor?
I don't really have any substantial goals other than dependable and decent torque. Mainly I'm just trying to ascertain what I have to make sure that it all works together rather than a bunch of mismatched parts. My Turbo is substantially bigger than stock and I have Cruze headers and a roller cam. Bigger throttle body and injectors.

Remember the turbo is the power adder and that will determine how much power you can make. Let us know which turbo.

Ported heads help on the low end as well. Three things make the combo work. Turbo size, torque converter and tune.

Airflow is determined by the intake valve. Everything upstream is a question of whether or not enough air can be delivered to the valve to fill the cylinder.

In a boosted application, you're nearly garaunteed to be able to max out the valve. The question becomes how high the boost needs to be to achieve that and how hot the air charge is when it gets there. Ported intake and heads increase efficiency, which means less boost and lower intake temps to achieve the same air flow at the valve.

Which is a bunch of words to say that if your goal is "decent and dependable" then you don't need to worry about any of this. Put it together and enjoy your car.

When I bought my supposed rebuilt engine I was told it had Kenny detweiler ported heads and intake. I got it disassembled and inspected and just like all the other BA claims it doesn't appear to be the case. How much horsepower are a set of Port matched heads and factory intake capable of supporting without pushing them to the limit with really high boost?
Those heads and intake will more than support that 67mm your runnning.
How much boost is really a mythical answer
Depends on many factors
Compression
Backpressure and the list can go on and on.
The turbo is really the key to power throughout the curve
And running a journal bearing turbo will not get you the torque you say your looking for unless you have a healthy amount of compression in the motor or have an undersized turbo for your combo.
These motors don't have alot of rpm capability so the window is small to get the turbo to move the air.
Most don't know it but it's easy to hit Backpressure on a small ex housing and old set of compressor/ turbine wheel combos. Even with poor a wastegate strategy.
So their boost number will always be higher in the attempt to make power and will choke out powerwise.
When Backpressure is low that's when you see the higher power levels with less boost if your setup can do it.
In the end you would need a very good turbo and system along with a motor built with better ve in place to make power with lower boost.
I would highly recommend you run those heads and intake and start working /building a setup around that

I appreciate all your input and advice. Honestly I have ZERO experience and knowledge when it comes to Turbocharged engines. I'm certainly in over my head.

This engine is for a 1966 Buick Special. I have a video of the GN the engine came from running an 11.3 that he said the turbo was too small and trans was starting to have issues. I already had the Garret Turbo and used their boost advisor to see if it was compatible with the V6 and HP goals. I didn't know how much difference there was between journal bearing and BB spooling.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240810_114308_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240810_114308_Chrome.jpg
    425.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20240810_114401_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240810_114401_Chrome.jpg
    602.8 KB · Views: 2
I guess I need to put my checkbook away and stop throwing money at the wrong things. I bought a very expensive and very nice RJC front mount intercooler and found it wouldn't fit. Then threw more $$ at a stretched stock location intercooler. I could have had a very good water to air unit instead. My new Cruz 4 bolt headers look great but once again may be overkill.

Back