how much is an 81 monte carlo turbo worth?

TheViper

my dad has an 81 monte carlo with a buick v6 turbo. if isn't in very good shape, it drives ok but the turbo dosn't work and it has a huge vacume leak. he swears its worth 20+k but i don't think so. does anyone know what there worth?

I would suspect it's worth more in the range of $2,000, not $20,000. The Turbo Montes don't seem to bring any more the the Turbo Regals of the same year. Even if it were an '87 GN, it would have to be in pristine condition to bring $20K

The turbo may be workable, but the vacuum leak could be interferring with the wastegate's operation. Fixing the leak may do wonders.

I was surprised to find how many of the Turbo Monte Carlo cars were built. They out number the Turbo Regals in both years

1980 Regal: 6,276 Monte: 13,839
1981 Regal: 2,891 Monte: 3,027

The Regal numbers are from Steven Dove's "The GN Facts and Figures Book." The Monte numbers are from a call I made to GM asking about the Turbo Monte cars.

I believe it was Chevrolet which put a hurt on the early turbo cars at GM. A lot of the Turbo cars sat left over on the Chevy dealer lots and then they did not provide very good service to that "Buick" motor in their Chevies. It took a couple of years for the Regal turbo numbers to begin to climb again.

SOLD

i wish they were woth 20k......about 3000 made in 81 and a kool car to use as a daily driver.. mine is in fair shape and before it got stolen and crashed ( rebuild in process) some dude a a huge local car show/ swap meet in Pomona california offered $3,400.... i was only selling it for 2500.......and me like a dumb ass didnt it take it cuz i had the crazy idea of selling it for 4,000 after what i saw i could get and 2 weeks later boom!!! i crash