How much oil does your TB use?

d0n_3d

Boost is good.
Seems like my GN is using quite a bit of oil. Is this normal with a moderate mileage motor? I mean my motor is nearing 100k miles but that isn't really that much...my car is using close to a quart of oil every couple weeks...it doesn't smoke oil or anything but I have to keep adding after a couple weeks...I am using mobil 1 synthetic 15w50 oil yet...with all these mods and big turbo is this normal to use oil like this??? i do get into boost almost daily so:D

That seems like alot of oil in 2 weeks, unless ya drive 1500 miles a week! :D Mine leaks a 1/2 quart in between 3000 mile oil changes. I'd say you are either leaking, blowing it out the turbo exhaust, or burning it past the rings. Or a combination of the above.

Ed

well my car does leak oil...about 3 drops a day or so...

i also daily drive my car...usually around 500 miles a week

the exhaust, intake pipes are not oily...only the pcv valve and hose gets oil in it (who's car doesn't)

Ok, has your oil loss happened recently? Does it leak more now than it used to? If it leaks the same yet you are adding more oil than you used to, it's going somewhere else.

ED

it's always been like this...my guess is that my rear mail seal is leaking pretty bad and it's leaking while i cruise or get on it more than when i just let the car sit...

Ok.....to answer your original question, 3 quarts in 3000 miles is kinda high. I know using synthetic oil the cars seem to leak more than with standard oil. Maybe next oil change you could try that. Better yet, maybe someone else has a better idea! :D

Ed

oh it doesn't matter what oil i use...it still leaks...i used regular valvoline 10w40 for a while and also kendall GT 10w40 and it still leaked...

oh well maybe i shouldn't worry about it...i am just paranoid about my car:D

ack, my rear main is leaking, but it leaks a lot more than 3 drops when sitting in the driveway... like you said, a quart every couple weeks. so in a couple weeks whenever i get my tranny fully back together i am going to be doing the rear main at the same time as my tranny.

-Neil

I use Mobil 1 and my GN leaks at the rear main seal, someday I'll fix it, but untill then it will keep my exhaust from rusting :D
Tarey D.

Same here with the oil leak ...mobil one......half quart between oil changes 3000k...since 1986.....drip...drip...drip....boost makes up for it..but still a PITA

My red TR used about 2 quarts between 3000 mile oil changes until I got the rear main seal and valve cover gaskets sealed. It made a huge difference, even though I didn't see that much oil on the ground. Then I got the motor rebuilt, and it is using 1 quart every 600 miles. I hope this improves. I only have a couple thousand miles on the rebuild.