How quick using stock injectors?

KrisR

Hello,

A friend of mine has an '87 Limited T with stock injectors. Mods are: Turbo Tweak street chip, Walbro 340 hotwired, bleed-style boost controller, fuel-pressure regulator/gauge, TH 3" DP with dump and test pipe, custom catback, K&N cone.

The car just feels kind of 'uninspiring'. My car had fewer mods last year (stock DP, stock fuel pressure, same Walbro pump, unknown chip, K&N cone, BUT 36-lb injectors) and it 'felt' much better, even though my transmission was failing.

Is it just the factory injectors? Can the chip not be as 'aggressive' because of the injector size?

When do the injectors become a bottleneck?

Thanks for any info,
Kris

stock injectors are good for low 12s as long as you got a good fuel system. what turbo and converter,stock?

eric and i tweaked my stock injector chip last year at the BG nats-
car went 12.09 at 111 at 21psi of boost-

maybe its just heavy,flat cam lobes,or plugged up mufflers!

BW

Originally posted by turbot2112
what turbo and converter,stock?

Yes, stock.

I have a Scanmaster on the way I will hook up to his car to monitor what's happening. Maybe it needs new plugs, or injector cleaning, or.............

Originally posted by Quick6'n'-K.C.
eric and i tweaked my stock injector chip last year at the BG nats-
car went 12.09 at 111 at 21psi of boost-

maybe its just heavy,flat cam lobes,or plugged up mufflers!

BW

It would be my bet you didn't do that with a street chip ;)

ya'll need to read the original post.

Stock injectors and a street chip are not going to run low 11's, no matter what tales are told. Stock injectors and a street chip would be lucky to run 12's, damn lucky.

While a Very Experienced Tuner, or someone that is just lucky might do some impressive numbers, that is by no means what the average guy is going to do.

Sounds like it could be too rich, cracked header something like that.

Slap a scan tool on it and see what's happening. I'd guess its NOT the injectors. If it was the injectors, it would manifest itself in low RPM bucking and rough idle.

Originally posted by TurboDave
It would be my bet you didn't do that with a street chip ;)

ya'll need to read the original post.

Stock injectors and a street chip are not going to run low 11's, no matter what tales are told. Stock injectors and a street chip would be lucky to run 12's, damn lucky.

You are right D-

that wasnt a street chip, it had 27.5 degrees of timing in it in first gear and tapered off the faster i went-

my comment was to insure them that stock injectors are not the culprit as to why the car is slow, more than likely the car just needs a good wakening up with some minor tweaking-

is it me or do our cars seem faster when your NOT behind the wheel? everytime i sit in the pass seat and feel my buddies get on the throttle, the car just seems faster:D

maybe turning up the boost will make it faster:p

BW

ps- i know a few cars sitting in my driveway that went high 12s on radials and a street chip just a few years ago-

my next goal is to have a turbo regal hit 12s on the STOCK chip and radials, its a buddies car. white on blue no options was bone stock before he met me:cool: time will tell

Originally posted by Quick6'n'-K.C.

<snip>

my next goal is to have a turbo regal hit 12s on the STOCK chip and radials, its a buddies car. white on blue no options was bone stock before he met me:cool: time will tell

It's not overly difficult. Mine, just a few months ago ran a 12.80 with a street chip setting, street gas (93 octane), firestone radials (firehawk), and a VERY SICK maf, etc, etc.

BUT, I'm NOT running stock injectors, intercooler, or turbo.