You can type here any text you want

How To Delete Old GCT Files In DOS?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

ZBass28

Boost Junkie
Hehe....I'm not very proficient at using DOS (or computers for that matter) and am wondering what I need to do delete all these old gct files with different tuning programs I no longer need. Obviously with Windows it was easy to just drag 'em to the trash but I have no clue how to do it in DOS....gosh I feel so dumb :o

boy do I feel old...

1. get into the directory that has the files you want to delete. If your files are in C:\Runs\Old for example, and you are starting off in C:\, then type "cd Runs" (without the quotes, I just put those there to show you exactly what to type. And cd = change directory) and hit enter, then "cd Old" and hit enter to get there. "cd .." will move you back up a step.

2. figure out what files you want to delete. If you want to delete oldrun1.gct, then type in "del oldrun1.gct" and hit enter (del = delete). There is no trash can in DOS, once you hit the enter key it is gone forever.

3. if you want to delete a bunch of files at once, use a wildcard: "*"
If you type in "del *.gct" it will delete every single file in that directory that ends with .gct in one fell swoop. Be careful with this, you can accidentally delete a bunch of stuff you were intending to keep.

John

Well old man...you forgot to give him the "dir" command so he can view the files in that directory. ;)

dir <enter> will give you the "directory listing".....listing of files.

If it scrolls on past a few pages you can type dir /p (p for pause) or dir /w gives you a "wide view" of the directory. You can even use these two options together dir /w/p.

John

Back