You can type here any text you want

how to identify 86-87 turbo block/heads??

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

griz_83ho

Hey guys just wondering how to identify a factory 86 or 87 109 block and heads? Have a guy who says he has a long block minus intake, turbo, etc. For a 85 or 87 turbo car. How can i tell for sure?

Look at the casting numbers... Will end in 109 on side of block, and the heads will have 8445 by the rockers.

The two replies above only apply for an 86 or 87 engine. the 85 is a hotair engine and is different.

84-85 hot air motors also use 8445 casting heads. 84-85 engines will not have the turbo drain hole in the front of the block above the timing cover and the casting number will NOT end in "109". Here is a pic of the lifter valley of an 84-85 block.

image-2709147770.jpg

Just as a side note, The SAME casting 109 block was used in 1986-87 RWD carb'ed VIN A cars. Olds Cutlass, Buick Regal and Pontiac Grand Prix could all have the same block. Only difference is the hole for the turbo drain is not drilled or tapped. These are great to use for a turbo engine because the carb'ed engine didn't make enough power to hurt itself!!

Dave

Those are often preferred because they are "seasoned" but not beat on and detonated in a turbo application.

I limited my earlier reply because OP said 109. Like mentioned above, 85 is different. Usually ends in 4140.

Back