You can type here any text you want

how to install grille springs

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

ttribejr

Can somebody show me a picture, orientation, schematic or anything of how these mount? 87 GN, i bought a pair of springs and not sure how they go in.

Thanks.

Will try and explain it in simple terms...edge of your grille has a small notch the one end of the spring seats in that notch the other end of the spring goes into a hole which I think is on top of your bumper support or in that general area....not as difficult as it sounds.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Sorry for the Highjack but what if you have a front mount and you removed the flat piece of the grill that the springs mount to?

What have people done?

I came up with an off the cuff method but i’m sure there is better.

Pics would be great in both our cases.

thanks
D

Sorry for the Highjack but what if you have a front mount and you removed the flat piece of the grill that the springs mount to?

What have people done?

I came up with an off the cuff method but i’m sure there is better.

Pics would be great in both our cases.

thanks
D
I have a GN FMIC and had to remove the flat piece as it was contacting the FMIC. I couldn't do the grill springs either. Once the flat piece is removed, take a look at the corner holes. They actually line up with a hole nearly directly below in the bumper support. I rat tail filed the holes out to around .25 inch and dropped in a 2.75 (maybe 3", I forget) carriage bolt. To make up the space between the underside of the grill plastic and bumper support, I used a hollow round nylon spacer. I was able to snake my arm under and up to drop the bolts in from the top, and used my other hand to line up the spacer holes.

Unlike the original style, my grill now has no flex in it (no springs) and remains solid.

IMG_0535.jpg

Spacer below:
IMG_0536.jpg

I have a GN FMIC and had to remove the flat piece as it was contacting the FMIC. I couldn't do the grill springs either. Once the flat piece is removed, take a look at the corner holes. They actually line up with a hole nearly directly below in the bumper support. I rat tail filed the holes out to around .25 inch and dropped in a 2.75 (maybe 3", I forget) carriage bolt. To make up the space between the underside of the grill plastic and bumper support, I used a hollow round nylon spacer. I was able to snake my arm under and up to drop the bolts in from the top, and used my other hand to line up the spacer holes.

Unlike the original style, my grill now has no flex in it (no springs) and remains solid.

IMG_0535.jpg

Spacer below:
IMG_0536.jpg
This a good idea. Although I have an aftermarket grill, I may still try this. Because I have lost several grill springs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like this thread goes back to 2016. Can someone post an updated picture on how these grill springs attach?

Thank you

Back