how to put a foward facing car seat in are cars ????

blackdeathtrap

smoking six barrel
well it seems iv over looked this but im shure some on here has done it before.
my lil on is in a foward facing cars seat were did you guys put the hook for the rear tandem strap????

I usually would connect all three together so they are somewhat secured together underneath the seat, as you have to use the factory seatbelts to secure the seat. There's no LATCH system in the GN/T's from the 80's.

Might be able to pop the back portion of the seat loose and sneak the strap between the rear deck and the seat. Then clamp the strap to the rear seat braces if you have them? Whenever I get mine done I'll be looking into this too.

Also maybe put some towels down on the seats first so the car seat doesn't leave creases in the seat.

i was mostl wondering if any one had added the rear tandem hook and if yes were i think gm has to instal one for free no mater what car it is no mater what year im gonna try that out

OK finally an area were I can add some valuable input. I am a Firefighter/Paramedic and have been in charge of the Child Safety Seat Program for 12 years now.

If you are installing a forward facing seat in a GN, using the car seat belt (to hold in the seat) then you do not have to use the top tether strap located on the car seat. Disclaimer!! car seats change all the time so the only way to tell for sure is to read the car seat instruction manual. I know it's boring and usually confusing but that is where the necessary install info. is. The top tether and lower latch system were meant to be used together, only. A car seat belt holding the car seat in does not use the tether or latch points at all (stand alone system).

One expectation that I make for my own safety is: even when using the car seat as a booster (no 5-point harness installed) I will still loosely clip the top tether to the deck clip. Just in case I am in an accident and DO NOT have my kids with me, I do not want that seat to come flying forward and knock me out.

Yes all auto manufactures have to install a top tether clip is asked to, however, have you ever seen the rear deck on a GN. It is very thin and would not hold up to the crash forces generated in a front end collision. So IMO you would be wasting your time having them throw one in. Using the middle rear seat position, and the car seat belt, is your easiest and best bet if the child seat has a 5-point harness. Booster seats must be placed on the outboard positions because of the added shoulder belt protection.

Your technically not allowed to put towels under the seat, reason being the towels will compress over time and the car seat should be tightened to less then 1" of play forwards and backwards. So this set up would fail under a short amount of time. Solution: you are allowed to use the 1/4" rubber mats that are sold in most stores that carry car seats. These rubber mats are threefold, they stop car seat from sliding around, prevent stains from spilled drinks, and lastly they protect the oem seats from damage from the bottom of that child safety seat.

Again, please double check your car seat instruction manual. Hope this helps you guys (and little ones) out.

Busyman

Your technically not allowed to put towels under the seat, reason being the towels will compress over time and the car seat should be tightened to less then 1" of play forwards and backwards. So this set up would fail under a short amount of time. Solution: you are allowed to use the 1/4" rubber mats that are sold in most stores that carry car seats. These rubber mats are threefold, they stop car seat from sliding around, prevent stains from spilled drinks, and lastly they protect the oem seats from damage from the bottom of that child safety seat.

Busyman

I'll have to check for those mats!

FWIW, our instruction manual says specifically to use towels to get the seat level?

yeah toy r us has em i was gonna put the mat regarless my back seat is brand new and lil monkey has to have french fries in the car or she ruins your day hahahah i did rear on the side of the car seat it states that you do not need to use rear tandem to so prefect il rock her in the middel seat cuz shes comming to the atlantic nationals with me cuz wife will be busy with are new board wich she is due for aprox a month

+1 on the mats also I don't use the tether either

Attachments

• GN1.jpg
    GN1.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 205
I approached this subject many years ago after 1 of the magazines indicated some GM cars were made with stantions for a possible 3 point system for the rear passengers. Talked to some east coast guys here who parted many a Regal and the response was that they never saw any in these cars. My next move was getting car caged and the builder was going to put a crossbar back around the 3rd brake light to install racing harnesses . Haven't had the $ for this yet but this seems like a safe way to go . Things change when kids come along and their safety is your 1st priority.

When I put one in for my son, I bought a belt and ran it to the trunk secured by a big bolt. You couldn't even see the tether. ..

Peter

My car's apart right now but if you look in the trunk in the upper corner area near the seats, there are some existing holes that I put a bolt through to use.

seems on my car seat its stated in the instruction that you do not need to use the rear theather if your using the seat belt and not the clip for sides so looks like i had noting to worry about at all

Wow I just did this to my T as our 2 year old is in a fancy new car seat, Hes not facing back wards hes facing forwards but what I did is make a Loop and then braced the bracket on the rear package try with a 48" Section of 1/4" angled steel. Then ran 2 grade 8 bolts threw the Hook/loop plate and Package try steel. This will make any loads be carried by the enter tray and across the back of the seat as well. Wife thinks Im nuts but hay I want my little man to be safe! Took a full day to do and fab up. Weight is about 10 lbs so that part was not to bad. I also put him in the center of the seat and not off to the sides so he can see what is going on. Love the look on his face and the gut belly laugh when the turbo goes woosh then pssst! Its the best if that doesnt make you smile bigger than life then I do not know what will!

rear facing is easy iv had one in there for about a year both my son and daughter have road in it with a rear facing foward facing is a different story though were the rear center tandem on those seats i was mostly wondering if you really needed to use it or not and after reading the instructions when using the seat belt that is the only thing you need to use to mount my seat

Wow I just did this to my T as our 2 year old is in a fancy new car seat, Hes not facing back wards hes facing forwards but what I did is make a Loop and then braced the bracket on the rear package try with a 48" Section of 1/4" angled steel. Then ran 2 grade 8 bolts threw the Hook/loop plate and Package try steel. This will make any loads be carried by the enter tray and across the back of the seat as well. Wife thinks Im nuts but hay I want my little man to be safe! Took a full day to do and fab up. Weight is about 10 lbs so that part was not to bad. I also put him in the center of the seat and not off to the sides so he can see what is going on. Love the look on his face and the gut belly laugh when the turbo goes woosh then pssst! Its the best if that doesnt make you smile bigger than life then I do not know what will!

My three year old does the same he always says "daddy go fast..turbo like a snake go ssssssssss":D