You can type here any text you want

how to rebuild a cam sensor?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

"More Boost"

Major Member
is it possible to rebuild your cam sensor? (87) i know hei's are rebuildable, and i know kirban sells new ones. but was wondering what all it takes if possible to rebuild my hi mileage stock one.

Was wondering the same thing....I have the rjc racing cam sensor repair kit and a new caspers cam sensor cap,but i would like to rebuild the whole thing if at all possible.Can this be done?

If the shaft is not in bad shape they can be rebuilt for about 10 bucks. The sleeve bearings can be found at a company named Oilite. They are 1" long with a 0.5" inner diameter. I forgot what the outside diameter of the sleeve bearing is. You will need a tool with a lip to drive the new bearings in. The spring washers can be found at a number of different places online. I replaced my spring washer with a 7lb washer. They offer lower and higher spring rates.The lower thrust washer usually needs to be replaced also. You want to try for about 0.003" clearance between the shaft and bearing(0.006" is ok). The force of turining the oil pump drives the gear of the cam sensor up into the housing. What ever you do never wash the sleeve bearings. Oil travels through the bearing. As the shaft turns it pulls oil from inside the bearing. When the shaft stops the oil is pulled back into the bearing. Over time some of the oil is lost and the upper cam sensor bearing starts to wear at an accelerated rate. If you pull the top off (including the wheel with the slot) of the cam sensor you will see felt around the top bearing. Keep it oiled. These are sintered bearings.

This sounds like a great idea for one of our venders. A pre-packaged rebuild kit.

Oilite Sintered Bronze Sleeve Bearing AA-628 1/2" ID x 5/8" OD x 1" Length,,,,Go to Smallparts.com.

I am pretty sure this is the correct bearing. I measured the ones that I pull out of my sensor and found a match but I do not remember the part number.

Back