How to see Knock / detonation with FAST??

scot w.

GNSperformance.com
I'm using the FAST b2b and was wondering if anyone is using something to keep an eye on knock or detonation??

Scot how u doin?

Im running a bigstuff 3 but I live of an old ANS knock detector when making passes. Thats really the only thing I look at since I leave the car in drive and let the trans shift wherever its set to do so. After blowing my first stock turbo motor, I would never go without a knock detector ever again. How many cars am I gonna get when we race? ;)

Julio (Alkycontrol)

This seemed to be a simple question for the FAST users but after 50 views i guess not. Thanks to Julio from Alkycontrol he informed me that on a FAST b2b system there is knock detection!! it's the (ESC retard) on the FAST dashboard. and he also uses a caspers audible knock sensor along with it. Very simple! took one 5min. phone call. Thanks Julio!! Scot w.

This seemed to be a simple question for the FAST users but after 50 views i guess not. Thanks to Julio from Alkycontrol he informed me that on a FAST b2b system there is knock detection!! it's the (ESC retard) on the FAST dashboard. and he also uses a caspers audible knock sensor along with it. Very simple! took one 5min. phone call. Thanks Julio!! Scot w.

Just found this out myself last night. Customized my own dash and added ESC retard. :eek:

I was to late, I was just about to post that its ESC retard but I guess its good I read the whole thread first.

Good luck with the FAST system. I am learning it myself. :cool:

Is there anyway to artifically set off the ESC Retard? Just as a precaution to make sure its working if you really are detonating. So that the FAST will know this and retard timing accordingly.

Thanks

I would just do what I knew would create detonation. Turn off the alky, turn up the boost, and run pump gas. A couple of seconds in the boost is all I would need to get the knock guage to light up like a Christmas tree. Although some of that is false, thats where the FAST comes into play. ;)

Don't think I'd purposely create detonation just to test the knock sensor...bad idea IMO...I think Cal posted something that XFI doesn't register knock at idle but you can trick XFI into thinking the car isn't idling and just do the tap test on the block near the knock sensor...he's the man to ask about that...

one thing that you need to do is you need to set-up your esc attack rate and the max amount it can pull.

if there is nothing entered in those places it will not register any esc retard.

the esc retard graph only show you how much timing was pulling to stop the knock.

hope this helps

i have had the fast system on my car for about 2 yrs now and i'm still learning everyday.

Very simple! Turn key to "on" (don't start it), boot your lap-top up and connect to F.A.S.T , Set the esc settings, and start your car. Now press the F8 key to start a log (just like you would if you were going to log a run) Then take an extention or long screwdriver and place it right near the knock sensor and lightly tap it with something and knock should show on your log! Have the screwdriver ready and press the "manual start" (space bar) to start the log and hurry and tap right at the knock sensor and your done! Scot w.

I've also seen people just take a ball-peen hammer and smack the side of the block.

-Bob C.

If all you want to do is test the FAST input, you can just ground the ESC wire. That should make the FAST start pulling timing according to the ESC parameters and you can watch it happen on the dash.

I've used the ESC input in the past for functions other than knock detection. Simply grounding the input (as the knock module would do) causes the ESC controls to activate. Depending on how you program those parameters, there's a whole world of stuff that can be accomplished here.

I've used the ESC input in the past for functions other than knock detection. Simply grounding the input (as the knock module would do) causes the ESC controls to activate. Depending on how you program those parameters, there's a whole world of stuff that can be accomplished here.

Craig, could you give us some examples of stuff that can be accomplished here?

Thanks

My favorite was to kill a car's ET without hurting the MPH, which can be a good thing in bracket racing. When you line up against a car dialed in the 10.50 range, you won't expect that he'll be doing nearly 140 mph at the finish line, meaning that you're more likely to make a finish line driving error and give up the race. I used the ESC retard by triggering it off the transbrake button and pulling 25 degrees of timing out of the car on the brake. When the brake is released, the car is down 150 to 200 horsepower (N/A car normally running 38 degrees of timing, pulled back to 13 by the ESC input). However, the horsepower starts ramping back in as the ESC decays out, and the car will still run the MPH but is super-slow in the first 400 feet or so of the track.

We did this with a buddy's car and got from 9.80 @ 138 all-out to 10.49 @ 138 with the ESC trick. Big fun!

Can the ESC/knock detection be used with a solid roller cam.
Someone once told me the valve train noise was to loud with solid lifters and the ESC would pick it up as knock, true?

---Bill.

If your logging a run and one of the perameters is NOT ESC Retard that's ok too....

You'll be able to see if it pulled timing on the graph and read out on the

Spark timing table. Last year I had mine pull .25 degrees of timing twice in

a logged run but that was it. Lol.

Great thread!
~Scott

I run the classic FAST, I've done some data logging and have noticed no knock retard on the laptop, but the Casper's gauge go to the red. I then watched it live and the same thing. I'll have 1-2 degrees retard with the FAST and the Casper's gauge in the yellow. Any thoughts on this ?? Should I go by the gauge, or what the FAST system is saying?? I would like to see one of the FAST guru's put together some type of course on CD, I would definitley pay for this. It is a slow process without having someone who knows what there doing. My best time is in my sig. I'm still figuring things out, I've got so much more power to go, just can't find it!!! Maybe I'll take a week off and go hang out at Jack's house, and see what I can learn..:biggrin: