You can type here any text you want

How to tell if a wastegate is stock or aftermarket???

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Guys
I believe that I already have the answer...but would like opinions....in a nutshell I purchased my TTA off a friend of a friend who was clueless about what had been done by the original owner who bought the TTA new back in 1989. The original owner was the past owner of a Turbo shop in Orange County area (Turbo City)...and my attempts to contact the shop only provided basic info such as "certain intake/exhaust mods" were performed...but they would not get into specifics. I have varified that the chip and exhaust system isn't stock and a GN buddy pointed out that my electronic wastegate control module was disconnected. The 2 valuum connections on the electronic wastegate control (I believe that's the name of it) do not have anything running from it. When I look under the T3 Turbo I can see that the wastegate has a long arm that apears to be adjustable via a nut on a shaft. Is this an adjustable wastegate?? Would a stock TTA booste correctly if the wastegate was disconnected from the wastegate control???
The TTA currently boosts at 16.5 lbs and boosts very quickly (per my GN buddies who went for a ride). It this wastegate is aftermarket and adjustable...the million $$$ question is why the wastegate wasn't adjusted to boost to 18-19lbs...???????????

Still learning about my vehicle...comments/suggestions/insight is appreciated.

thanks
David

Yes
Yes (but not how it was intended too)
91 Octane gas and 19#'s of boost don't mix.

Side note: does your TTA have a polished upper & lower intake ?
Turbo City used to have a "turbo buick day" thing going on. I went only once back in 89' just after purchase of TTA. Only one
other TTA was up there and was already a little tricked out (for being July or so of 89). From what I remember, it had a custom N20 fogger system plumbed into the lower intake runners, lots of chrome and polished parts. Never found out who the owner was. Your post just got me thinking.;)

Your description doesn't fit my TTA. The only visable mods are a diconnected wastegate sensor, aftermarket wastegate?, hood insulation that has the Turbo City logo, and a intake pipe shield that says "Turbo City". The air filter element is stock. From looking at it (and all reading that I have done) the injectors appear stock...as does the fuel pressure regulator. I do know that the chip was replaced because I attempted to install a 92 Octane Thrasher (stock inj) and got an instant SES light. The muffler system has also been upgraded to a 3" collector running to the flowmaster muffler and dual 2 1/2 inch pipes running to back.

I am very cautious about performing mods on this car without first learning the dos and don'ts. heck, since the car runs fine...I am even holding off removing MAF screens. :p The "visual" of something disconnected has been griping on me...but would rather find the information myself...then go out an pay a Turbo mechanic $100 an hour to tell me what I could have learned on my own.

Johnsperformance has the correct TTA wastegate hose available if you want to install it. If you ever want to go to the track, let me know. Myself and another TTA owner out of Diamond Bar go ocassionally. We've been going to Ca. Speedway, LACR, & next trip probably Carlsbad.

Well the valve cover bleeder selenoid has to be connected for proper boost regulation.This is how the computer pulls boost out in third and fourth. By sending voltage to it cuasing air to be directed from the compressor to the wastegate.You will get better spoolup with the "Y" in than with the hose hooked from compressor to WG

Johns performance for the hoses and "Y" adapter..

Start with it stock.And get a Scanmaster or some other scan tool to monitor knock before you hurt something..TTA Rule One..

HTH

Guys thanks for the advice. I might take your advice and reconnect the wastegate control hose by connecting to the wastegate sensor. I am looking at the kit on JohnsPerformance.

Would you guys have a diagram or other resource on how to reconnect this plumbing? A Picture of the connection on your TTA, or rough drawing?

I noticed also that the hose kit recommends orifice size .40 for the TTA and .25 for the Buick GNs. As far as you guys know...is the .40 correct for TTA?

A million thanks....what are your timeslips at the track? I might take you up on the offer...but for now I am most interested in learning the ropes and getting it back to stock before considering major upgrades.

David

Back