How to tell if the cat is clogged?

Adam Connell

Monster Truckin since 87'
Well... I have been running around with my dump plate of since my last inspection and I put it back on and this thing failed emissions miserably. My HC levels were GREAT but my NOX was twice the allowed limit... Now, how can I tell if my cat is bad? It has roughly 5k miles on it. The car seems down on power and the turbo is slow to spool and I lose roughly 2lbs of boost with it on...

How bad would a TT chip kill my emissions?? I know the EGR function is blocked, but I didn't think it would kill it that bad.

I was also running 25% E-85 at the time, would that bring my NOX up? I noticed my HCs were WAY down so I figured the alcohol was doing that.

I pretty pissed actually since I spent 250$ on getting a damn cat put in the car lastyear, and now it wont even pass... I should have just gone somewhere and paid the extra to "make it pass" and kept the cat off the car... Im sorry but a 20 year old car that gets driven 3k miles a year should not have to pass emissions...

You can get Eric to burn you an emissions chip for your combo, I just went right through inspection a few months ago with no problem at all. I forgot you blocked off the EGR valve, it will be difficult to pass NOX without the egr valve functioning.

You can get a good idea, if you have an infared temp gun. shoot it at the inlet and outlet, it should be 10-15% higher at the rear

go beat on the car for a few miles get out and look under there if shes glowing red, its done.:D

There is a chip I can get to put in my car to help in emmissions??? Where is Eric?

How can I contact him?

Thanks!

There is a chip I can get to put in my car to help in emmissions??? Where is Eric?

How can I contact him?

Thanks!

Yes, Eric can burn you an emissions chip for your specific combo, just give him the information on your car, such as injector size etc. I used my emissions chip a couple months ago and went right through emissions, my emissions readings were incredibly low, I couldn't believe it. I paid $20.00 dollars for the emissions chip.

You can contact Eric at TurboTweak Home, and by the way, this chip is to be used in your GN for emissions purposes only and then swapped out with your regular chip that you run.