You can type here any text you want

How to trim finder trim?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

John Wilde

I'm getting too old for this $#!%
Staff member
Guys,

I am thinking about trimming my fender trim to give me a little more clearance.
Should I use some metal snips or maybe a dremel?
I know this sounds lame but I like the look of the trim of the car...

Guys,

I am thinking about trimming my fender trim to give me a little more clearance.
Should I use some metal snips or maybe a dremel?
I know this sounds lame but I like the look of the trim of the car...

John I would use a Dremel.. I have done this to many cars. more time consuming, but more precise and looks better. If you fold the trim in the fenderwell.. you risk the chance of a buckle in the panel.

After you cut the trim off.. just grind it smooth and paint it to resist rust or corrosion..

Hope that helps:)

You also need to take into consideration the spot welds. I've seen guys get carried away with the Dremel. You dont want the sheet metal to seperate.

Yeah, I was split on what method to do. I was about to get the Dremel out when it dawned on me that the GN only had wheel opening moldings where as the Regals also had a rocker molding. I took all 4 moldings off and buffed the paint. It was at that time I decided on no moldings and a rolled lips. I was trying to emulate the NASCAR look. Big tires stuffed up into the wheel wells.

I did mine with a fine toothed jigsaw. Cut it with the trim still on! Came out perfect. Can't even really tell it was done. Left enough meat on the quarter where I could still put an uncut trim piece back on.

I did mine with a fine toothed jigsaw. Cut it with the trim still on! Came out perfect. Can't even really tell it was done. Left enough meat on the quarter where I could still put an uncut trim piece back on.

I did something similair to this. First I took out the screws one at a time and redrilled them closer to the outside of the body. Once you do that, draw a line thru the abandoned holes and cut with the jigsaw......be sure to put some tape on the bottom of your saw to keep from scratching your trim...........good luck

I did something similair to this. First I took out the screws one at a time and redrilled them closer to the outside of the body. Once you do that, draw a line thru the abandoned holes and cut with the jigsaw......be sure to put some tape on the bottom of your saw to keep from scratching your trim...........good luck

EXACTLY! Hit the edges of the cuts with some POR-15 as well. Will take some pics if I get a chance.

Back