You can type here any text you want

How would you build it?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

dngrous_dime

Okay, I've got a carbed 252, all stock. I'm not sure which vehicle this drivetrain will be going in, although I'm leaning towards an S-10.

I'll be converting to fuel injection using the external parts from an 85 3.8L Century. I'm hoping (intending) to get all the accessories from the Century, so I'll be able to eliminate the clutch fan and tuck everything closer to the block, using an electric fan from an LT1 Caprice, or LS1 Camaro. (they flow enough to keep a V8 cool, and the radiator size is close enough to what I've got)

It originally had a TH350 behind it, but I'm converting to a World Class T5 from a 91-93 ish F-body. I've already gotten a flywheel and bellhousing from a 79ish Monza.

I'm going to be adding a turbo, probably Turbonetics T3/T4 hybrid, based on what limited research I've done.

I'm not at all afraid of fabrication, so if I need to build parts to make it all work, then so be it. I have some limited access to a CNC mill, and I can create the drawings for any adapters I'd need.

So, my question to all of you, is how would YOU build the engine internals to handle all of the above?
Secondly, why would you do it that way?

I have a mechanic cousin that will be doing the actual engine build, I just want to know what to have him build.
This project is on a budget, too. I'm guesstimating $3500 available, tops.
(host vehicle is already purchased, and I'm good at junkyard digging)

First I will need to know how much power you plan on making.

But without that I would say forged pistons, center steel caps and top it off with a set of ported irons and a roller cam.

If i was going to do this I would use a set of stock headers and a Gn turbo. Plenty of parts for this set up and you can find most of this stuff used. The more you fab the harder it is to replace. And no trial and error. Make your own downpipe and intercooler pipes.

( I hate to say this, but way not use a small block. More power and less headaches? My next regal will be a LS powered. Love my Gn, really alot, but I hate the down time. )

How much power? As much as I can make, within the budget.
I don't want to build a smallblock, since they're EVERYWHERE. Part of doing this build is to be unique. I've searched all over the internet, and I'm 98% sure that I'll have the first engine/trans combo of its kind in the world. (may cause headaches later, but this won't be getting oodles of miles racked up on it, anyway)

When I was talking about fab work, I'm thinking along the lines of adapter plates for transmission and clutch, etc. Also, making my own motor plates.

I saw a T66 turbo upgrade on Ebay, roughly $500 shipped. Thoughts on something like that versus a T3/T4?

I'm still a bit fuzzy on the specifics for an intercooler. Since this is all new territory to me, it's beyond simple upgrades over stock.

Back