HU -> Amp Hookup?

darkfa8

- driving everywhere -
I was wondering: If it is more wise to take the "rear" channel pre-amp output of the head unit (JVC kd-sh99) and send that to the sub amp, or use the dedicated "sub out" pre-amp out?
The sub out has a separate volume control from the "main" volume and it has a built in low-pass filter (not sure what the roll-off is though).

I was thinking, that for proper gain setting, letting the "main" volume control everything without having an additional volume control for the subs, aside from the amp gain pot would make things easier.

I have a Kicker ZR240 amp with a SWX crossover set at 80Hz.

I haven't set my gains using a scope yet...i'm in the process of getting one. In terms of "gain", when I listen to different tracks I wind-up adjusting the dedicated "woofer volume" at the HU to raise or lower the sub output...

Any thoughts?

I would imagine that the volume on the head for the sub acts like a 'bass boost'. If that is the case then leave it al the way down and set the gains.

Really though, I don't think setting gains to subs require anywhere near the precision they would for the main setup.

details

The "WOOFER VOLUME" allows you to raise the sub-out preamp volume independantly of the "main" volume. Though when you raise the "main" volume, the sub output increases correspondingly.

It doesn't boost the frequencies, its just an independant volume control for the sub-out preamp. I have the EQ set to "flat".

I guess what would be the right thing to do is hook the sub interconnects to the Rear-out so that the sub amp's line-level feed is only effected by the "main" volume, rather then an additonal level setting.

I could then set my gains based on the HU "main" volume level and the trim pot on the amp to achieve a good gain setting.

Having too many volume controls has just been annoying.

This is what I would do.........I would run 2 pre-amp cables to the rear (1 for rear channel, 1 for sub-out) that way you dont have to pull head unit out twice to experiment. Switch between the 2 pre-amp signals and see which you like the best for your bass. You may or may not like the sub-out option but if you can experiment between the 2 options all it will cost you is a little extra time and a pre-amp cable.