HYBRID can you help ( iPod vs. Alpine deck)

Boston GN

As you may remember I have an older din and a half Alpine CDA-D852. I am trying to get my iPod to play through the deck. I have the KCA-121B adapter which changes the AI-Net to femal RCAs. I then have the wire that converts the headphone adapter to male RCAs. When all is said and done nothing plays. The only way I can get it to play anything is if I switch the AI-Net function to EQ/Div via the switch on the bottom of the deck. Then I have to have it on a radio station with the volume at 1 so you can't hear the radio but the iPod finally comes through, but only at the rear speakers. Volume is then controlled by the iPod itself.
I also have an interupt switch wired just in case I needed to use something like that.
Where am I going wrong? It should be easier than this, lol
Do I need a different cable? I don't want to use an iTrip or anythng like that. I'd prefer it wired directly and don't want to spend of $200 for the Monster Cable iCruze

Thanks for any guidance you can give

I'll check, but if it'll work with your deck I'd use the Alpine iPod Interface, KCA-420i. It says on Alpines site for 2004 and newer decks, but I think since it's Ai-net it should work, it might just not show as much info as on newer decks. As far as the input adapter issue, you're right it shouldn't be that dificult. Listening through the radio is not correct. Have you tried this:

The KCA-121B (ALP/AI-RCA) also connects to Non-VersatileLink™ ready Ai-Net Head units. The Non-VersatileLink™ unit must have an interrupt wire (pink/black) in the power harness. With the KCA-121B (ALP/AI-RCA) cable connected to an Ai-NET head unit, you can activate the VersatileLink™ by switching the interrupt wire to ground (-). If there is no sound make sure the mute mode is off.
Turning Mute Mode On/Off:
1. Press and hold the INTLZ button for at least 3 seconds. 2. Press the Preset 1 button to turn on or off the Mute mode. (The initial setting at the factory is "MUTE ON.") 3. Press the INTLZ button again to return to normal operation.

Let me know if you've already tried that and I'll check on the I-pod adapter(it retails for $99 or so)

Adam

P.S. When playing the I-pod through the aux in adapter the volume on the I-pod will still function since as far as the I-pod knows it's just playing through headphones.

HYBRIDT said:
Turning Mute Mode On/Off:
1. Press and hold the INTLZ button for at least 3 seconds. 2. Press the Preset 1 button to turn on or off the Mute mode. (The initial setting at the factory is "MUTE ON.") 3. Press the INTLZ button again to return to normal operation.

I will try this tomorrow morning to see if that changes anything.
Thanks so much Adam!! Hope this works, I have yet to try this approach. This is with my interupt switch grounded (turned on), correct?

That's the way it reads to me. I've never actually tried this though, just found it trying to do a search on your problem. Let me know.

Adam

Well, I just went out to do it and I have no INTZ button, lol.
Is there another one I could use> I tried just about all of them and nothing seems to happen :confused:

Sweet, so I just need to figure out how to "mute off"

Will report back when I get home from work. Thanks Adam!

Boston Boy said:
I then have the wire that converts the headphone adapter to male RCAs.

Volume is then controlled by the iPod itself.

Hi Bill

If you plug your iPod into your radio using the headphone jack, the volume is control by the iPod. If you connect to your radio using the dock connector at the bottom of the iPod, volume would be controlled by the radio. You will also get better sound quality if you plug into the dock connector.

Here's my setup (in my Focus)

RCA jacks into the head unit.
headphone jack plugged into a Belkin auto charger that is plugged into the cigarette lighter.
belkin auto charger plugged into the dock connector.

sorry i can't help you with your radio. I have a Sony Xplode head unit in my car.

Chris

AHa! I figured it out....sort of.
Found out how to turn the Mute Off, now it works with the interupt swicth, but only rear speakers for some reason. I think I may just get that Alpine iPod interface set up for 100 bucks.
Thanks again guys

Does it only cut out the fronts when you use the aux input adapter? Meaning when you play the tuner and built in cd both fronts and rears play fine? I'm asking because the I-pod adapter plays through the changer input too and if there's a problem there just using the new adapter might not fix it. Did you switch the eq/div switch back? The general thought from the people I've talked to was that the I-pod adapter should work with your deck it just might be difficult to access the songs since it doesn't have the code to allow you to scroll through files, just song by song. I'll keep on it though.

Adam

Only plays in the rear when using the iPod. Both ways, even when I had it playing through a radio station.
Everything else plays fine: radio, CDs
I did not switch the Div/EQ swicth back to where it was. Maybe that'll help. I'll try that next. Damn, thank God these radios are easy to take out of these cars, lol.

HYBRIDT said:
Did you switch the eq/div switch back?

Adam

BINGO!!!
That worked. Now it works flawlessly, although as stated it is kind of a pain to switch songs on the iPod itself while driving. Volume is controlled both by the deck and the iPod.
Thanks Adam

Cool, glad I could help. You kinda got lucky though. I don't really ever check this section. So if you want to get a hold of me fast, just e-mail me or post in the pacific nw section. Still checking on the direct adapter and I'll let you know if I come up with anything. :)

Adam