You can type here any text you want

Hybrid wiring choices

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

fuzzyGN

Hello all. I have been collecting parts for my hybrid swap for a few years now. I was planning on buying a parts car and using everything from it to make the conversion. I actually found a car but it was much nicer than anticipated so now I am torn on what to do. I could remove the engine, trans, wiring harness, and whatever else but then I have a roller that is of limited value unless someone was going N/A. If I just remove the engine and related sensors but leave the harness in the car then the value jumps up.

So, the question is, for those of you that have already built a hybrid, was the stock wiring harness of much value? Or by the time you remove what isn't needed and terminate at new location etc. it was more work than it was worth? I know it isn't cheap but Caspers has the entire engine bay wiring harness which would be all brand new and while it is being built he could leave out all the stuff you weren't going to use. I guess one could go even futher and go with a FAST or BS2.

I want to make the car simple and more of a show car driver versus a racer so the FAST would be a bit over the top. I probably will look into a MAFless setup more for packaging purposes but I plan on keeping it simple and close to stock. Anyone have any input or "I wish I woulda ..." Thanks

I just did a swap a few months back... the engine harness is essential to the swap and you can get one in real nice shape, just put a post on the boards looking for one.

The caspers one is a fortune.

Matter of fact, I think someone was selling the caspers one on the board for like $200 cheaper than they ask for it.

But either way, you CAN find a nice used one in good condition. Without that harness it will be a wiring nightmare.

When you are ready, I can tell you some things you are going to have to add wiring to, to make work.

I've got an 87 turbo harness. Was going to use it on my project, but decided to spend a fortune on a custom Casper's one instead ;)

Let me know if you're interested, it is just lying around in the garage. Good luck!

See... good people like this... thats where you get what you need.

"I've got an 87 turbo harness. Was going to use it on my project, but decided to spend a fortune on a custom Casper's one instead."

Here we go, real world experience. What made you decide to go with the Caspers vs. the stock harness? Was the install of the custom harness easier? Is your drivetrain stock or more modified? Please share. BTW, I am interested in the harness.

Hey Eric,

I went with the Casper harness also. My thoughts are the factory harness is 20 years old, who know what might have been spliced, and Caspers will add or delete what you want from it. Things I had changed are:

1. harness extended so I could locate ecm on seat.
2. relays for 2 fans
3. map sensor extended.

What are you working on?

When we get the 63 impala done, I was thinking of setting up a get together. If we have enough of them running. LOL

Chuck

Short answer: I'm retarded, and a horrible wirer. Also, I'm color blind, (seriously) which makes wiring even harder for me. Plus, I don't find it fun at all. I'd rather fab up my intercooler mounts, or bolt on a bigger turbo than mess with wiring. Lastly, I got tired of seeing the car in pieces, and simply needed a short-cut.

My stock harness is in tact, with the exception of the fan relay, fan delay relay and fuel pump relay wires. They have been cut (don't know why - previous owner). The wires are still there, just cut back a bit. :confused:
If you're smarter than me (very likely) and more patient than me (extremely likely) the stock harness will work. If you've got the money, call Dennis at Casper's and have him make you a fully custom harness - you won't regret it. If you want my stock one, let me know. Good luck!

Chuck, thanks for the reply. Those were some of the things I was thinking as well. Was there additional cost for the modifications you had Caspers do? The underdash on this car is going to be tight so I am not sure where the ECM will end up. It may end up as far away as behind the front seats. Who knows.

My car will be off the road for a few years yet as I am still collecting parts. I also have a few projects in front of it like fixing my GN, stereo work on my friends GN, finish the beater (need a 78 Sunbird with a N/A v6?), convert the race Vega to an auto .... It will be awhile. Might even attempt the 4X4 Monza project before the hybrid.

As far as what I am building, do you see a trend about my project cars? One might guess.

Nick, yes still interested in your stock harness regardless because one never knows. Shoot me a price via PM and we will talk.

Back