hydro boost or vacuum?

bob brady

3 black cars
my powermaster just gave up! should i invest in a new one, or convert to vacuum booster?

Vacuum is simpler(cheaper) system and works for most applications. HB would be better for drag racing and more spirited driving.

hydro boost is the way to go if you have the cash.Hydratech is the hot setup. The only draw back is if the power steering pump brakes. Vacuum is cheap and easy. People say vacuum does not work? 89 TTA came with it and it worked fine. Power master is a unpredictable pile of crap.

I have 87 grand national my power master is not working well . Going to the salvage yard FOR A HYDRO BOOST .What are the cars that came with the braking system . I NEED HELP. Thanks in advanced.

I have one with (P/M), *& another one with Vacuum (I "converted" to Vacuum) ... BOTH are great ! (It seems once I change the "dreaded dark fluid", that I run into all the problems !) ... SO: on the other car I left it alone, took it back to the Dealer for a new Pressure Switch (there was a recall), and I've enjoyed perfect operation since.

It amazed me that they found a Switch even ! (But I used top work there).

Want a wake - up call ? (*Maybe this happened with you ?) *Have one (a "power-master") go "OUT" when you least expect it ! Trust me; You'll won't soon forget when it does !

I went hydroboost. My trucks have it and I had an 84 T-Type with it. Vac brakes work too if you are into that. I chose the hydroboost so I didn't have to hunt down the vac pedal. Easy or not that is what I based the decision on. The rest of the stuff I got from rock auto and local part house. There have been others who have had problems ironing out the system but mine has been on the car over two years and I'm happy with It.
My thread.
http://www.ihadav8.com/forum/index.php?topic=4228.0

Someone should look into this thing and the reason it double posts so much.

Double post

My God Rich, I just looked / and read your tutorial about the "how too" (with a Brake "conversion") ...

**Just absol. amazing, and VERY well done !

Man: "You don't mess around" ! ;)

I can pm you my number if you have questions and want to talk about it. Check out my trans build thread over there in the trans section.
I'm just a working guy who wrenches on my own stuff. I'm glad that my ramblings are helping others.

Yet another double post. Sorry folks.

Last edited: