You can type here any text you want

Hydroboost power steering hose options

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Blazer406

Mechanical Engineer
DIY.... budget conversion on an '87 GN. I am looking on the possibilities for getting an "off-the-shelf" replacement powersteering pump to HB line that is close to the correct length..... doesn't matter if it is exactly correct.... just as long as it has the correct ends on it... and is near the correct length....

IMHO you could tweak the ends to make it fit....

The HB unit I am looking to use is a '95 Astro.... just like Tin Man has used.

Pump to HB line.
I think I need a 16mm male o-ring fitting on the pump end... and an 18mm male o-ring fitting on the HB end. I am not sure the length I might require.... but have found replacement HB (PS to HB) hoses with the correct (I think) 16mm x 18mm fitting size.....in these lengths:

93 Astro - 43-1/2"
95 Astro - 34-3/4"
96 Astro - 30-1/2"

HB to Steering Gearbox line.
I think I need an 16mm male o-ring fitting on the HB end.... and a 18mm male o-ring fitting on the gearbox end. Again, I am not sure of the length.

93 Astro - 40"
96 Astro - 33-1/2"

The return line should be easy... not too woried about this.... I just want to find some over-the-counter lines that I can make work to greatly reduce the cost of the conversion.

Can anybody tell me what length lines would be close?

How much are you trying to save? I just took the hose from the PSP to SB, the fittings from the HB that I cut from the astro van to a hydraulic shop. They brazed 90's to AN fittings. I screwed the AN's into the hose ends. I am using blue clothe Aeroquip hose, now dyed black. The sold me the 3/8 and 5/8 hose, the T and the socketless fitting for 3/8 hose on the HB and two custom hoses with -6 hose ends for a little under $100. I just haven't had the time to finish the install. I just need to weld the rod to the HB for the brake pedal. HTH

How much are you trying to save? I just took the hose from the PSP to SB, the fittings from the HB that I cut from the astro van to a hydraulic shop. They brazed 90's to AN fittings. I screwed the AN's into the hose ends. I am using blue clothe Aeroquip hose, now dyed black. The sold me the 3/8 and 5/8 hose, the T and the socketless fitting for 3/8 hose on the HB and two custom hoses with -6 hose ends for a little under $100. I just haven't had the time to finish the install. I just need to weld the rod to the HB for the brake pedal. HTH

I was just hoping I could find some new hoses available locally.. that I could make work.... no adaptors.... just replacement hoses.... with an extra bend or two... in the right places... with the correct ends on the hoses.

On the '85 GN HB unit..... does it have the same size fittings as the Astro? I think they both have 16mm and 18mm male o-ring fittings.... but I'm not sure they aren't reversed....??

I am not sure about the 85 HB set-up. In Tin Man's HB thread there was a guy that used the 85's lines. I think he used all the factory stuff up the PSP and SG. There he brazed some fittings. His info is somewhere on the third page. He posted pics. I believe he has a MC. HTH

Back