I am looking for help dumping the baggage that is my Kenne Bell canister.

Little Detroit

Ok, I have the often referred to as “Ram Air” Kenne Bell kit that encloses the air filter, and pipes down below the driver’s side headlight to the air dam. I want to do away with the kit without actually replacing it just yet. Can I remove the canister, and the hose while leaving the air filter in place, or is this a self contained system where the air filter requires the surrounding canister to remain connected to the sensor? I have been searching the internet, and have yet to find an answer to this question. Which most likely means that I am the only Grand National owner dumb enough to ask it. I even searched for the instructions in hopes of seeing the internals, but with no luck, and I do not want to just start yanking parts without knowing what I am doing.

-Robert

You can just buy a 3” Intake pie some silicone hoses. And a 3” inlet K&N filter. I use part # RE-0810.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not a dumb question at all, I had the same setup in my car when I bought it 20 years ago. The general consensus was that it slowed spool up. I removed the canister, but left the hose to route air from the scoop to the open filter. As long as the bracket supporting the air flow sensor is still there, you will be fine.

Ok, I have the often referred to as “Ram Air” Kenne Bell kit that encloses the air filter, and pipes down below the driver’s side headlight to the air dam. I want to do away with the kit without actually replacing it just yet. Can I remove the canister, and the hose while leaving the air filter in place, or is this a self contained system where the air filter requires the surrounding canister to remain connected to the sensor? I have been searching the internet, and have yet to find an answer to this question. Which most likely means that I am the only Grand National owner dumb enough to ask it. I even searched for the instructions in hopes of seeing the internals, but with no luck, and I do not want to just start yanking parts without knowing what I am doing.

-Robert
Yes you can remove the canister and piping down to the air dam without an issue. Just leave the air filter connected to the MAF sensor. We just did it on a low mile '86 GN that had the Kenne Bell setup on it. We are slowly converting it back to stock.

A big thank you to everyone. This is exactly what I was hoping to hear. The MAF Sensor is still connected by the support arm so I will be tending to this in the morrow.

-Robert

A big thank you to everyone... I got this done today, and it should suit me until I swap everything out for good.

-Robert

Eventually the factory maf will fail. You might want to research LT1 maf and translator, and maybe even buy a used translator before you need one.

I do intend on upgrading to the LT1 along with a translator, and a new MAF pipe, but I wanted to get what I already have in it’s best working condition before I started changing things around. This is the main reason that I wanted to pull the Kenne Bell kit. However, since it has been mentioned, I was wondering what MAF pipe would be suggested. The LT1, and translator were a no brainer, at the least, for me, but I see three options for a MAF pipe, and I can not really decide. There is the replica MAF hose that resembles the original while being more dependable. There is a solid pipe that mimicks the original hose’s path while being solid. Then there is a strait pipe. I prefer the strait pipe, but I can not find enough information to solidify my decision.

-Robert

You probably want hose #2. Also make sure you get the proper step up (or step down) hose to connect the pipe to the maf. The maf also comes in 3" for the LT1 and 3.5" for the LS maf. Hoses are available new on eBay if u want to save a few bucks.

I do intend on upgrading to the LT1 along with a translator, and a new MAF pipe, but I wanted to get what I already have in it’s best working condition before I started changing things around. This is the main reason that I wanted to pull the Kenne Bell kit. However, since it has been mentioned, I was wondering what MAF pipe would be suggested. The LT1, and translator were a no brainer, at the least, for me, but I see three options for a MAF pipe, and I can not really decide. There is the replica MAF hose that resembles the original while being more dependable. There is a solid pipe that mimicks the original hose’s path while being solid. Then there is a strait pipe. I prefer the strait pipe, but I can not find enough information to solidify my decision.

-Robert

If you're thinking about going to a big mouth cold air kit in the future, you might consider a MAF pipe of the same brand or one that will work with future mods. Just a thought.

Hey Little Detroit, I just found the instructions for the Kenne Bell 'ram air' kit. I think you know what to do now, but if you still want the 2 sheets of paper that came with the kit let know, I'll send it to you. Besides, the instructions will make the kit more valuable when you sell it on ebay. In fact, we could offer 2 for the price of 1. (LOL)

Hey Little Detroit, I just found the instructions for the Kenne Bell 'ram air' kit. I think you know what to do now, but if you still want the 2 sheets of paper that came with the kit let know, I'll send it to you. Besides, the instructions will make the kit more valuable when you sell it on ebay. In fact, we could offer 2 for the price of 1. (LOL)

I am actually very interested. I enjoy looking at, and reading through the older materials. I still have a stack of old Kenne Bell magazines from the early 80’s somewhere.

-Robert

Sorry for the slow response, I'm chasing a fuel pressure problem and its not going well. But here are the KB Ram Air instructions. The kit came with a copy-of-a-copy for instructions (classic Kenne Bell) and this is what I scanned.

I removed the kit many years ago but still use the vapor canister extension hose. The ram did nothing for performance and acted like a vacuum cleaner sucking up everything on the road (dirt, stones, small animals, mustangs, etc.)

Attachments

• KB_RamAir-pg1.png
    7.6 MB · Views: 42
  • KB_RamAir-pg2.png
    11.4 MB · Views: 39
  • KB_RamAir-pg3.png
    9.6 MB · Views: 42