You can type here any text you want

i am the dead fish

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

rob85gn

buick_lover
i can`t believe it i got toasted by a dodge.granted i have a hot air which is stock just a adjustable waste gate but he took be badly i think it was a durango now i am really going to do some things to this car now:( :( :(

A few possible explanations:
1. He had a SC - you should still beat him
2. you couldnt hook up. - you should have caught him by 50mph
3. Your car is out of tune. get that baby fixed!

You know it could have been one of those R/T's with some mods. I personally think thats not a bad loss if he had some good mods.

My borhters V6 Dakota 5-speed with just an open intake, Exhaust, and Ignition system witha 5speed was pretty quick for a truck. Soi if it was a 5.9L????(I think thats what they are) with some good mods like a NOS kit I would say you shouldnt be ashamed, but yes do more mods and lay the smack down with the mighty V6!!!!!!

tune up

the truck was pure black with crome rims.my speedo only goes to 85 and i was well passed that when he went by me.the thing is,he walked me hard once he was a that speed i beat my car so hard it over heated.time to get the muscle back in my buick:D

I think you definitely need to tune the hell out of your car
even if the truck was the shelby durango you should have walked it pretty bad
I dont know what you do in the 1/4 but the shelby truck with a 5.9L supercharged and full exhaust (which is the package) plus it comes with little extras only runs a low 15 at best
they are way too heavy and to top it they are all-wheel drive
with all that said he would have had to had nitrous to have passed you.

Carl

dead fish

i had to let off also cus i was starting to over heat.that problem will be solved tomorrow with a large 3 core radiator out of a old cutlas.i need to upgrade to the 86 ecm to so i can get a good chip when i am done i hope to kick some butt:D

The car shouldn't even come close to overheating from a 1/4 mile pass or even a little farther. Headgaskets aren't leaking, are they? The only time mine would overheat in the 1/4 is when they were leaking and it would blow all the water out of the motor in a matter of seconds. I've also seen some stock hotairs with only 10psi boost from the factory. If you already have a fuel pump, boost guage, and scantool don't be afraid to turn it up to 15+ psi.

boost

i think i got ahold of bad gas to.i went to a station that claimed they had 94 octane after i filled up i went about 5 miles and the car knocked real bad i just got back from a moble after putting 93 octane in and the knock is gone:cool:

The 5.9 litre Dodge Durango R/T's are slower than dog ****. Literally, I've handed a few, and a modified one their asses on a silver platter, and I don't even run a turbo buick. A friend of mine has one, we finally weighed it at another buddy of mines work place. His weighed as much as my friends single cab full size Silverado LOL! WTF?!? Anyway, he also modifys it, and the engine doesn't respond to well to modifications like others. Later,
Tyson

getting better

i have tuned the car and wired my lock up to a switch took her out and she is awsome i had no lock up before going against that dodge:D

Originally posted by Cleaner13
I think you definitely need to tune the hell out of your car
even if the truck was the shelby durango you should have walked it pretty bad
I dont know what you do in the 1/4 but the shelby truck with a 5.9L supercharged and full exhaust (which is the package) plus it comes with little extras only runs a low 15 at best
they are way too heavy and to top it they are all-wheel drive
with all that said he would have had to had nitrous to have passed you.

Carl

Carl, I thought I read in Motor Trend or something that the Shelby Durango did like mid or High 13's in the 1/4?? I'll have to dig up the article again.

Originally posted by Consoleking
The 5.9 litre Dodge Durango R/T's are slower than dog ****. Literally, I've handed a few, and a modified one their asses on a silver platter, and I don't even run a turbo buick. A friend of mine has one, we finally weighed it at another buddy of mines work place. His weighed as much as my friends single cab full size Silverado LOL! WTF?!? Anyway, he also modifys it, and the engine doesn't respond to well to modifications like others. Later,
Tyson

Not wanting to get into a bitch session. I've got a 2002 Durango wit the 5.9, 4wd, full tow package, etc. It's not "slow" by any means. Now my 94 Explorer, that's SLOW. I can crawl faster than that thing. But that being said, I still don't really understand why people would by a 5,000 pound (or whatever it weighs, I'm not sure) truck for the purpose of going fast. The reason I bought mine is because it out tows anything in it's class, and even tows as much as trucks which are considered more heavy duty. It's got really good torque for towing. To waste money with go fast mods on this particular kind of vehicle seems like a waste to me. Unless Dodge decides to come out with a "serious" sport suv, (which I thought the Shelby was)lightweight, high performance etc. I don't think it's worth wasting money trying to get it into the 13's. Just my opinion.

Also, just a sidenote, don't laugh at those new little 4.7's they are putting into the Durangos now. All 4.7 Durangos now also have the new Mercedes Benz 5 speed automatics. They are quick. Especially with no 4wd or towing package. The 5.9 has absolutely nothing on them. If it was not for the extra torque rating, I would have gone with the 4.7.

maybe I'm wrong?????

I dont know
I might be way wrong on them
but I do know
2 things
1 the durango R/T (5.9L) runs a best of 16.3 in the 1/4 mile
2 with the supercharger and a full exhaust the engine is hitting about 350HP up from the stock 245
granted 105HP is alot, but nowhere near enough to knock off 3 secs on this things 1/4 mile maybe 1 or 1-1/12 secs
but 3 secs takes alot of power

Yeah, I mean, I don't know. It's just what the article said. I don't think it could be done either unless you lightened it up a "bit".

One thing I truly don't understand lately, on a different note, is the ricers, stock out of the showroom, Maximas, Lexus, Toyotas, Subarus, they all seem to be outdoing the U.S. cars in horsepower. WTF? Why can't the U.S. extract more horses out of their cars. It's almost like they are being conservative or something. I don't like conservative, I like balls. (not literally ;) )
If the Maxima or Subaru whatever it's called can extract 220+ horsepower from those little blenders, what's the deal with the American makers? The Japs beat us in the late 70's and early 80's by giving the American public what they wanted which was smaller more fuel efficient cars while American auto makers said "screw you", we know what our country wants, we want huge, spit in the face of gas prices, aerodynamic as a brick boats, ugly as hell at that. And because of that attitude they almost couldn't recover, until they finally realized either they join them and try to compete and beat them at their own game, or they go bankrupt.

Now that we are all past that, and the publis is looking towards more performance oriented vehicles, they are giving the public what they want again. What the hell is wrong with us? Why don't we make cars with more balls? I'm not talking limited production hot rods and such. I mean mainstream, AFFORDABLE, good looking transportation in a mid-sized platform with high 200's to 300 horsepower which will start to get people off the rice kick. The Caddy STS to my knowledge is really the only car that can compare to the upscale European or rice cars performance wise. I can't think of any more off hand. I don't know about the Riviera or the Aurora, but who the hell can afford one anyway? My point is, it seems like there is much more rice to choose from in the "go fast for a reasonable amount of $$ off the showroom floor" market than there is American cars.

And the Japs will hand our asses to us all over again if we don't learn from our past and give the public what they want when they want it....whatever it may be.

Ok, I'm done. :)

I think the US has some great engines out now. The LS1 is freakin awesome, the supercharged 3800 is nice, the 3800 series two is nice also. The inline6 4.2 Trailblazer motor is sweet. More the 1hp per c.i.
American cars need torque, not 8500 rpms.
Japan has some awesome cars though like the WRX and the Lancer EVO.

Originally posted by blackbuick87
I think the US has some great engines out now. The LS1 is freakin awesome, the supercharged 3800 is nice, the 3800 series two is nice also. The inline6 4.2 Trailblazer motor is sweet. More the 1hp per c.i.
American cars need torque, not 8500 rpms.
Japan has some awesome cars though like the WRX and the Lancer EVO.

Geez, how the hell did I forget those engines? Guess I need to get with it. :eek:

As far as the 3800, that's been around for a long time, and rumor had it, I thought, that GM was giving it the deep six?? Why, I have no idea. It's been a proven reliable performer. I was kind of talking about new stuff. Although the LS1 is new, isn't this the Camaro's last hurrah? Now what? That leaves the Trail Blazer, and although it's probably quick, it's a truck. I'm just playing Devil's advocate. It seems all there is left is the Mustang. :rolleyes:

I own a 2000 Dodge Dakota 4x4 with the 4.7 in it. The 4.7 is an awesome motor, except for the gas mileage.

I've been down to the track a couple times with it and have run 16.2 at 87mph in the 1/4. Thats pretty damn good for a 4x4 truck stock with only a gibson dual exhaust, and a Intense Performance cold air intake. did I mention theres a huge box in the extended cab with 2 12" MTX 8000's in there, that adds just a little weight, and the fact I'm a 300 pound guy.:D

My cuz has a Durango with the 5.9 in it and it goes pretty good also. Dodge makes some awesome motors, all they need to work on is their trannys.

Sorry to rant, I just love my truck:)

Originally posted by Yedi
I own a 2000 Dodge Dakota 4x4 with the 4.7 in it. The 4.7 is an awesome motor, except for the gas mileage.

I've been down to the track a couple times with it and have run 16.2 at 87mph in the 1/4. Thats pretty damn good for a 4x4 truck stock with only a gibson dual exhaust, and a Intense Performance cold air intake. did I mention theres a huge box in the extended cab with 2 12" MTX 8000's in there, that adds just a little weight, and the fact I'm a 300 pound guy.:D

My cuz has a Durango with the 5.9 in it and it goes pretty good also. Dodge makes some awesome motors, all they need to work on is their trannys.

Sorry to rant, I just love my truck:)

I agree dude, they definitely need to work on their tranny's. I bet if I had a good tight snappy shifting tranny in the Durango it would really pick up performance. Even so, I still love the torque at WOT.

Back