I come in Peace, but need info on a Carbed Turbo setup I have

BamaZ28

Hello,

I am from Camaroz28.com and Nastyz28.com but you guys are my only hope when it comes to getting info on a Turbo kit I have come across.

Here's the scoop: I got a complete used single turbo setup for a carbureted small block chevy. I am planning on having the turbo's (one spare) rebuilt. They are both RAJAY, but different models. From what I can gather, the carb sits on intake adapter that the turbo blows into. I need two things, ONE, a good place to have these turbo's rebuilt and get some info on them, TWO, overall info on this type of "pull-through" setup.

I know this is a Buick site, but NO ONE else knows as much about the turbo subject than you guys, please help!!!

BamaZ28

Pakistan?I guess the internet really does make the world a smaller place.
What you appear to have is a draw through turbo setup up[no carb pressurization.
As to a rebuilder;if you wanted to ship the turbos to North America for rebuild[a big cost I would think],I would ship them to John Craig at Limit Engineering.
I would look for a good rebuilder in Europe[shouldn't be tough,turbos are pretty popular over there].

I believe that I read that Rajay was bought out buy some one, and then that company was bought out by some one else. Now I have CRS (cant remember **** syndrome). Its like Garrett or turbonetics I believe. Turbo city supplies rebuild kits for Rajay turbos Maybe if you called them they could help you identify what you have.

1. a pull through type set up is usually refered to a "draw through"
2. put plenty of carb on that thing because it will help hold the heat down and will help to get the fuel right.
3. your going to have your hands full trying to get your fuel and timing right.
4. dont give up there are plenty of guys who have put some stout running turbo/carb set ups together.

There are people out there drag racing Studebakers with turbos and carbs. Maybe you kind find some info about them on the net.

HTH: Jason

Someone told me that these setups can NOT be intercooled, why?

Also, I am US Air Force, stuck in Pakistan for the next 3 months, that's why I'm trying to research all the turbo stuff, so when I get back I get get her running.

Thanks

BamaZ28

And POSTAL,

I am from Central Illinois......what town are you from? I'm from the Mason City/Lincoln area. Graduated in 99

I live inbetween Bloomington and Champaign.

Your carb atomizes the fuel into the air going through it. If you then send that air through the intercooler the fuel is going to cool down and the fuel will drop out of the air and puddle up in the intercooler. Its kind of like rain. When cold air mixes with and cools down hotter humid air, the air cant hold the moisture any more so the water drops out of the air.

Now turbos that can be used for draw through set up can be used for blow through set ups also (but the oposite is not always true, this has to do with seals). If you switched your set up around to blow through you could then run an intercooler. This has a couple big advantages:
1. you'll make more power at the same boost level
2. you can run more boost w/o detonation
3. you'll actually be safer on your motor even with the higher power level.

The two main pieces that you'll need to switch to a blow through set up is a carb bonnet, and a boost referenced fuel fuel pump or regulator.
Also with either set up (blow through or draw through) I highly recommend putting some sort of alcohol injection on the car if your going to be messing around with pump gas. Alky will add a some safety margin for you and will probably pay for its self in no time (it will help keep your motor together). It will also allow you to make alot more power on pump gas.

p.s: I used to be in the Navy and we where just trying to figure out some thing at work tonight. We where trying to figure out how many AF pilots a Navy pilot could shoot down before one of the AF pilots took him out by accidently crashing into him :D

So give me a guestimate on the extras I would need to switch to push through system, intercooled, AND alky injection. How much for a bonnet, intercooler, and alky injection. This sounds like it could get REAL expensive and complicated REAL fast.

Navy pilots are cuhrazy, I'm an Air Traffic Controller, and we gotta keep a close eye on those guys, I'm surprised it's not more of them hittin'....;)

BamaZ28

I had a hopped up and all redone 69 camaro ss and a crappy 71 nova ss when I bought my first GN. The camaro was nice, souped up, and every one licked it. The Nova was the one I drove all the time and I loved that car. Hard to beat the fun of cruising in a 4 speed muscle car even if it looks like a turd. I bought the GN because I couldnt believe the times my buddy was turning in his mildly modded GN. Then you look at the gas mileage, driveability, ect ect ect......oops I got off the subject.

Ive seen carb bonnets on ebay go for $50 buy it now and Ive seen them bid up to close to $100 for a regular auction. You dont find these every day on ebay but if you keep looking for a few you'll find one. Turbocity sells them and I think they are pricey, like $150 or $250 I cant remember.
You would need to change your inlet piping to the turbo and go to a K&N cone filter. The filters go for around $50.
You would have to come up with piping from the turbo outlet to the intercooler and then from the IC to the bonnet.
I have read where they take a certain style chevy fuel pump and drill and tap it. they then take a brass hose barb and screw it in and then attach a vacuum lie to it to boost reference your fuel pressure. You could also go to an electric pump and a aftermarket fuel press regualtor that has a boost sensing port.($$$)
You could spend any where from $50 to $2000 on an intercooler set up.
All this will add up and probably end up making you drop the project long before you ever finished it. Go with the draw through system you got and maybe pick up a piece here and there and then switch to blow through later. You could also sell your set up and buy a GN motor to drop into it. www.turbobuicks.com has a hybird section for guys who have swapped GN motors into all kinds of cars. This board here also has a section for older turbo/carb cars Click on the "before black (non SFI) tech" section. Those guys may be the most helpful to you.

The latest issue of Hot Rod compared roots blowers against centrifugal blowers against turbos. Each engine used a carb set up for blow through. They have a list of what they used and they mentioned the referenced fuel regulator.

For RAJAY turbos and info try www.turboneticsinc.com
Qoute from their catalog"effective Jan 1,2000 Turbonetics will have acuired the RAJAY product line from its parent company Consolidated Fuel Systems and Turbonetics will move production and product support to their Moorpark CA facilty"

Eric Fisher