I got no boost!!

1QUICK85

Big Old Turbo Turd!!
I have the vacumm lines ran and the lines that need boost ran too. I just got done putting on my V2 intake and new turbo and injectors. New downpipe, MSD wires, 24 autolite plugs, and the modified 86/87 intercooler that comes with the kit.

Here is my problem..................I cant get no boost. I talked to turbowrenchead and I have the boost lines all straightened out....or at least I should.....I might still have something wrong...but I was switching stuff up and checking it out.
I can hear a turbo wine...........but I dont feel any boost or see it on the factory gauge or my VDO gauge. I have no exhaust leaks....I am running right off the downpipe right now......LOUD!

What can I do to figure out what is causing the prob.......the wastegate rod seems like it wouldnt have a problem moving...how would I check this......the puck is probably open just a slight bit.......because I cant get the rod any shorter....it that a problem?

I am going to check for leaks with some carb cleaner once I run to Autozone. I drove it around it feels like a N/A V6......:(

Oh yes the car is now throwing a code 23 at me..........bad MAT temps.........to low I guess......??? Didnt do it before......I have a custom burnt chip. Not sure what other info will help you guys......

Thanks for any and all imput guys/gals:D

Nick

Ok I got no leaks. At least the car didnt rev up from all of the carb cleaner I was spraying.....:eek:

I am leaning towards something with the wastegate rod?
Not short enough..........I even shortened it a couple treads because it was to long to fit. The flap that the rod hooks on to is not sitting all the way tight..........so the puck is probably not tight....it is probably about 1/4 of inch the flap could be pulled tighter ........is that my problem..........maybe I need to shorten the rod some more to get the puck tight to build the boost?:confused:

I also have the double line wastegate rod......if that helps at all!!

Other then this everything seems fine.........I need to get my racepipe back in there so I can hear myself think;)

TIA, Nick

I wouldnt keep trying to shorten that WG rod. Even if the rod was all the way out where it just slips on to the "flapper", you would still get plenty of boost (factory non-adjustable WG :rolleyes: ). Especially if youve got an aftermarket chip, which brings us to the other reason that even if the WG rod WASNT shortened, the WG solenoid (through the ECM/chip) would up the boost.
Id check your vac lines to the WG again. Make sure they are to the correct ports on the vac block as well, and to the WG solenoid. There is a vac diagram at the gnttype site, and probably one in the sticky on this forum (not sure:eek: ). Your original fan shroud also had a vac diagram sticker on it.
Ive never had one go bad, but I guess its possible that the WG could be shot. Doesnt it work with a vac diaphram in it, to pull the rod? Might have a hole in it. If you have a spare or know someone who does, that would be an easy check. Just swap 'em to at least rule it out.

You dont have a gigantic leak from either your headers, or your up-pipe, do you?

Is your Vac "Y" with the restrictor in it (between the compressor and WG) installed right? Does your TB blade open all the way up when WOT?

I'm not sure if I read this right but if you're saying your puck is open 1/4" you will have little to no boost. The puck has to have some tension on it and should be completely shut at all times unless you're at full boost.

Whether or not the lines and "Y" are run right, the car should see some boost, usually way too little or way too much.

I'm not sure if I read this right but if you're saying your puck is open 1/4" you will have little to no boost. The puck has to have some tension on it and should be completely shut at all times unless you're at full boost.
yup,tighten that rod up.
How is it that he has the WG rod tightened all the way and it is still pushing the puck open :confused: :confused: . He has got to have the wrong WG for the application, right? The correct WG should be able to slip right over the "flapper" and give just enough tension to hold the puck closed (as a stock non-adjustable did).
Hmmm.....is this a non-adjustable made into an adjustable? Perhaps still needs a bit of modification to get right? If so yeah, you need to lessen the length of that thing so it can be adjusted to give just enough tension to close the puck, and also be able to tighten more to run higher boost.

I noticed he said he had the hotair wastegate and he has a TA49. The rod is longer on the hotair wastegate but the bracket is different too. So I'm not sure if it's actually longer or not. The backing plate for the compressor housing is different between hotair turbos and IC turbos but not sure if there's an actual difference in distance from the puck. I thought about this but I didn't know enough to comment on it. I wish I still had my old hotair wastegate and turbo to compare.

Well guys I got the V2 intake which turns the turbo around a little and the wastegate rod has less space to cover now....probably.......so if the puck is open at all I would have no boost? thanks Nick

Sounds like thats the problem. Modify the rod so that it just slips over the "flapper", supplying just enough tension to keep the puck closed. Remember to thread the rod further so you are able to turn up the boost later. MAKE SURE YOU DONT CUT THE ROD DOWN TOO MUCH. Take your time and measure.

And yep, the 86/87 WG rods are shorter than the 84/85.

After looking at the vacuum diagram the 6sense supplied. I told you to hook up the vacuum tee wrong. The bottom of the tee needs to go to the actuator. You need tension on the wastegate puck to build any boost. If that puck is staying open no boost will build quickly. If you drive the car for over a minute at wot it might make some boost but takes forever.

I will try turning the Y vacumm tee around and shortening the rod to get the puck to seal all the way.........I know for sure it is not sealed all the way as it is open a little cause the rod is shortened all the way...........................?

Just wish I wasnt so busy with school and work.......cant really work on it until saturday........I will keep ya posted if I do get out there to mess with it.

Thanks for the replies guys.............TIA........Nick

Ok puke is tight....................and the wastegate has no thread left, how do I add more thread to it..........but it is tight until I want to go higher with the boost.........not sure how much it should have know.......hard to judge...LOL

But still no BOOST! :confused:

Up pipe somehow seems to have grown a Fing leak!! But, doesnt seem like enough to cause no boost at all!!

The map sensor is hooked up to boost...............but here is the thing.................that is running off the line that runs to the back of the intake................so if the turbo is not pushing any boost then how does the intake give boost to the map sensor??????? NO map sensor equals no boost right? SO map sensor has to sense boost building to allow the turbo to push the boost??

:confused:

I got to get it running good by next thursday..........cause I have a date with a NOVA.............and I want to give it 110% of hot air torque right up the A$$;) Or at least be knocking on his driver side door........LOL

TIA Nick

Wierd info for ya :)

I was just out and went around the block and the car seemed to want to run some boost but just started stumpling and acting wierd.............no knock at all........just like it wasnt sure if it want to die or run.

Then when I get back to my drive way .................... coolant leak.........i am thinking oh $%^$$^$#$$%^&&%$#........but just turned out to be a heater core hose leaking.......but then I turn the car back on and the leak is gone.........it is like the trying to build boost makes the hose leak............WTF............

Is my bad MAF sensor reading cause my stumbling problem and thus maybe causeing me to get no boost............cause I see the fuel pressure go up when i put the pedal down and i can hear the turbo whinning(maybe one little light on the stock boost gauge lights up.......and the VDO does nothing) but then the stumbling starts and the fuel pressure drops a couple pounds and the car will go no where until i get off the gas and then get back on the gas nicely...........:confused:

I do have a custom burnt chip for a 87 ECM with the use of the 84/85 parts..................I emailed him to make sure the MAF setting in the chip is for a 85 MAF........just to make sure.....should here back from him tommorrow..........I know he did it for the 85, so maybe for some odd reason my MAF took a crap while it was sitting in the trunk of my car while I was putting the new intake on........LOL................

TIA Nick

The map sensor is only used for the boost guage. It's not tied into the computer. The stumbling could very well be your MAF. With the puck sealing you almost have to get some boost even if only a few pounds. Are you sure all intercooler hoses are connected and tight? Trust me, the car can seal up during vacuum and as soon as it hits boost you develop this massive boost leak. Could also cause weird MAF readings.

One other thing, while the coolant leak is probably separate from your other problems, intake leaks and headgasket leaks come to mind that could cause that.

I will check everything out again tommorrow night.

Intercooler hoses are clamped down with the T-clamps.....the heavy duty ones............I might try finding a hose that will bend easily and run it from the turbo down right to the trottle body.....try eliminating the intercooler and see if that is it..

when i got the intercooler It had 3 leaks in it!! I had a shop repair it but maybe they missed something..???

Nick

Have been checking coolant and oil......constatly.........no collant in the oil or anything...........gosh all i did was change the intake and turbo.....................LOL:D Thanks for the ideas.............I will try and figure this stuff out...........

oh ya......the boost actuator(if that is what it is) on the valve cover does one vacumm port need boost and the other need vacumm? I have the boost one hooked up but nothing to the other as I was told no hose hooked up to it would matter!

Do you also need a vacumm line hooked up to the one port on the wastegate rod....................right now I have the boost line hooked up to it and the other port has nothing hooked up to it!!??!!??

The car is making a weird noise to????? A very distinct like sucking/blowing noise?? Is this because of the Trottle Body now being after the turbo.................so it sounds different...........it sounds like my K&N filter cone times 10........it isnt coming from the air filter area though...........around the trottle body and intercooler piping..........probably just air pushing through the piping.....LOL

TIA Nick