You can type here any text you want

I Need Help!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TURBOELKY

lately the 81 sc has been running a little funny. Seem'd like it was developing a mis-fire, but still ran good. Just now, I pulled it out to run over to in and out for a burger and the car runs like crap! It will idle and rev in neutral or park just fine. When its in gear, it wants to buck and act all crazy, like its missing under load. Also my carb has been making a really loud ticking, coming from the electric silinoid I presume, anybody know how to adjust that? and any ideals on the problem? I drive it to work everyday, and need it fixed asap. Thanks guys...:smile:

You need to eliminate everything but the carb first, put the plugs and check condintion and gap, ohm the plug wires to ensure they are good. Check for vac leaks, pull the distributor and cap are good and seated properly.

Eliminated

I put in new plugs. Gapped them at 40. I put on my msd wires the other day since the originals crapped out. I checked the dist. cap, it is seated good, but may be in need of replacement. I did find a vac leak, and fixed it too today. There goes all that:D :eek:

but

I put in new plugs. Gapped them at 40. I put on my msd wires the other day since the originals crapped out. I checked the dist. cap, it is seated good, but may be in need of replacement. I did find a vac leak, and fixed it too today. There goes all that:D :eek:

like I said, it revs and idles fine in park, but when in drive it crapps out.?

It maybe time to rebuild the carb, I know one mine there is a idle mixture screw that has 2 rubber O rings. One of them went bad and the car run like crap. Most auto parts stores carry the rebuild kit for around $25, you might as well replace the MCC and TPS while you are into it. Do you have Doug Roe's book on Q-jets??

It's bizarre that you posted this. I have the exact same problemwith my 85 carbed V6. My oil/choke light has been coming on though. Before this morning, it would still run fine with the light on. I know it has oil pressure. Someone heard me cranking it several weeks ago and told me my choke was sticking. Well now I have to do something b/c I almost didn't make it home. When I put it in gear, it would spit and sputter and just barely crawl just before dying. I had the pedal to the floor. I noticed when I got the car in the carport that is was blowing black oil/water out of the tailpipe onto the concrete. I was just about to log onto Autozone.com and price a rebuild kit. Looks like a rebuild for the carb is in order for today as this is my daily driver too.

And to think, I just spent my 2 days off troubleshooting an electrical problem only to fix it 1 hour before having to leave for work again.:(

All so check to make sure that the choke wire is connected and has power.

Coil!! Check the coil.....I think it's dying!
Next deal with the ignition module.....

If you did'nt tamper with the carb, then leave it for last. I'd check electrical first!

Coil!! Check the coil.....I think it's dying!
Next deal with the ignition module.....

If you did'nt tamper with the carb, then leave it for last. I'd check electrical first!
I was just thinking about the coil..mine went out right after I got the car. The tach started jumping around then started to run like crap.

check it out!

i'm still stumped:o here's what i've tried!
new cap and rotor
new plugs
new hei coil
checked the wires
had the alternator tested and its ok
i'm really stumped. Seems after I replaced this stuff, its runs worst and worst:eek:
tomorrow i'll check the starter? maybe the silinoid is going out?
it will run really smooth for a second and then stumble all over, kind of like a cylinder has no compression or a few are missing really bad!
the batt light is still on, yeah the batt is a little low, but not that low. When I parked the car on sat. it did'nt run bad at all, just kind of shaked a little at idle. On sunday, I replaced the plugs with some ac 43 rts, and it all started going down hill. The old plugs were bad, and it ran better. Do you have to keep the stock 45's? any other thoughts. Thanks guys, maybe the carb? but what is the deal on the battery light? its been on for a month. What else would cause this? this sucks:confused:

hey, im really interested in your troubleshooting procedures, and would like to be informed on your future efforts for my own knowledge. I see these cars go for dirt cheap, but am too intimidated to start messin around with a car like this that has almost no support whatsoever. Can I have a few pics of your car, its interior and the engine please? Thank you. If i feel confident enough, id love to have an old carbed...

Last edited:
If you have a bad cell in the battery it'll rob power for the alt.
also recheck the plug wires to ensure they are not crossed.

Try This

hey, im really interested in your troubleshooting procedures, and would like to be informed on your future efforts for my own knowledge. I see these cars go for dirt cheap, but am too intimidated to start messin around with a car like this that has almost no support whatsoever. Can I have a few pics of your car, its interior and the engine please? buddiiee@aol.com. Thank you. If i feel confident enough, id love to have an old carbed...

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/be...01-newest-findings.html?highlight=SPORT+COUPE
if that dont work, do a search on newest findings. The pics are in there along with some shots of my elky. as far as trouble shooting, engine wise no prob. electronics, houston we have a problem:eek: that is why i'm f'd here. Ttype83, I double checked the wires, as a matter of fact I pulled the book out on the car yesterday to check firing order. Got that down, i'm going to look into the starter silinoid today, maybe swap it out for another starter, maybe something is rusty and not making good contact in there? i'llkeep you guys posted! I hope its not the carb. But that would'nt have anything to do with the batt light on!.

Pics

there are like 4 of the sport coupe. One interrior, two outisde, and one engine bay. Do you mean more of the elky?

ah hahahaha

once again the master of fixing things and not knowing what he did to fix it has struck!!!:eek: got the car running as smooth as....hell, it runs sweet again. I tried everything, even had the ignition control module tested at pepboys. I did change the peice that connects to the icm and plugs into the cap for a newer one I had laying around. The old one was a little corroded, that may have been the problem. This is what I did and changed guys.
cap and rotor, plugs, wires, hei coil-but was not it, checked the starter wires, checked the icm, had the alternator checked, and fixed a few vac leaks. I also think the choke blade was shutting a little when I accelerated, causing it to cut out, that might have been the only problem:o so I've came down to the conclusion just like when I had error 42 in the elky, "just change everything until it works again!". that is my saying, i'm going to copyright it...:wink: thanks for the help guys.

all you keep doing with those links, is linking me to other threads lol. ahh well, i guess it wasnt meant to be. I seen everyone elses car but yours. nice rides too.

Back