You can type here any text you want

i need to replace my powermaster

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

jwheelz1212

power master died on me and i need to get it replaced asap. wondering what the best replacement options im thinking gbodys vacuum system. any suggestions?

There are people on both sides of the fence, but I personally like the feel and performance of Hydroboost. You can get kits from places like Powerbrake-drivetrain.com or you can "do it yourself" with reman parts and a little running around to parts stores. I did my hydro conversion for $250 or so thanks to tips from Turbonut85. You can click on the link in my sig for my installation notes and pictures.

Vacuum brakes work fine too. It's just a matter of personal preference. :)

Are you sure your PM is toast and cannot be fixed?

I recently converted to vacumn. I purchased a dual diaphram booster {reman wagner} and a new wagner master cylinder both for an 87 regal V8 model along with a used brake pedal. Of course you have to purchase a vacumn block as well for the booster vacumn source. I'm very happy with it. It is simple and it works.

Go vaccum,...

Powermaster is expensive, hard to find, and easily can fail on you when yu need it. I know people who wrecked their GNs because the PM failed on them.

Go Vaccum, its simpler to install, and easy to maintain, and way cheaper to replace. There are some people who sell the wholes vaccum kits for $150-$200, that includes the booster, pedal, but you would have to get a vaccum block with five small tubes to connect the hoses, which runs about $30-$35.

Its better than to a rebuilt PM that will cost you $500-$1500.

I have vaccum, and its great!

Good Luck on your decision.

William

yeah im going to buy the vacuum system from gbodyparts it seems to be the best thing to do and it is fairly cheep and will be easy to install thanks for the help guys

Sounds like a nice project. Don't forget to bench bleed the master cylinder. It's a very important part of the process. You can get a little kit at NAPA that has the port adapters and tubing to bleed it in a bench vise or on the car. I bled mine on the car, but I jacked up the back end to get the master cylinder level, otherwise bubbles can get trapped.

Advance banner

There is a banner @ the top of page for a 20 percent discount @ Advance Auto. It once was 30 percent (code ES 123) . My friend bought ALL compoents to convert to hys. boost for around $200.

Yeah, you have to wait for the best time to buy from them. It took me a month because I wanted the extra 10% off. Sometimes unpublished codes work and I found mine here.

I got free shipping but still had to pay sales tax. Oh well.

Hydroboost is the best performing but the vacuum setup works quite well. I've been running a vacuum setup with no issues for years. :)

Hydroboost is the best performing but the vacuum setup works quite well. I've been running a vacuum setup with no issues for years. :)

I would have to agree. I prefer the pedal feel of hydro on my Buick and it is VERY similar to the stock hydroboost that is on my Cobra. It doesn't take much pedal to begin stopping.

Hydroboost conversions

There are those who believe that they PREFER the CHEAPEST BRAKES they can buy, and the most expensive SPEED parts you can buy. Choices....Your car, your life (maybe others) When your brakes fail, you can not call "time out" to stop the accident in mid-air and go fix them. TOO LATE. I offer the BEST brakes money can buy, not the cheapest. Systems that have been proven many years ago. i have been doing Hydroboost conversions and rebuilding them since 1974, when they came out. I do offer Reman units for those who want them. I have been in the brake business for 60 years. Fixed brakes for $5.00 on up to $12,000.00, but they all were done properly. 300,000 invoices written. I have never had a customer have a brake failure in those 60 years of business.

Bob, what (if anything) makes your brake kit superior over going to (name your favorite parts store) and buying all the parts to do a hydroboost conversion?

Just asking...

There are those who believe that they PREFER the CHEAPEST BRAKES they can buy, and the most expensive SPEED parts you can buy. Choices....Your car, your life (maybe others) When your brakes fail, you can not call "time out" to stop the accident in mid-air and go fix them. TOO LATE. I offer the BEST brakes money can buy, not the cheapest. Systems that have been proven many years ago. i have been doing Hydroboost conversions and rebuilding them since 1974, when they came out. I do offer Reman units for those who want them. I have been in the brake business for 60 years. Fixed brakes for $5.00 on up to $12,000.00, but they all were done properly. 300,000 invoices written. I have never had a customer have a brake failure in those 60 years of business.

No offense, Bob, but why do all of your posts sound like a commercial? When I read them, it's like Billy Mays and Anthony Sullivan yelling at me. :)

Hydroboosts

Well, oddly enough, when I came on here 5 years ago, talking about the Hydsroboost, no one here had ever heard of a Hydroboost, nor converting the Powermaster system TO Hydroboost. Now, it seems to be the favorite topic. I have given excellent advice here, for free. Brakes are the misunderstood part of a car, it seems. Bosch would not have granted me a special distributorship for their new Hydroboosts, unless they feel I was well qualified. I offer NEW units from Bosch, which NO auto parts stores can do. Bosch only builds new Hydroboosts for the automakers directly. Nothing for the replacement market.
Now that Hydroboost interest has been built here, I see people going to the auto parts store to buy rebuilt units, and try to engineer a brake system. Few auto parts store clerks have brake expertise. WORSE, they go to the junkyard, and get a unit off of a150,000 mile van or something, and then cut and weld the pedal rod. They cobble up a bracket, and then have problems. The pedal ratio is critical, the length of the rod is critical. When they do this and have problems, they blame the hydroboost, instead of the installer. Some of this is unsafe. These new units are reasonably priced, guaranteed by Bosch and fit and work right. They will outlive the car. I bet you, or I could get a 150,000 mile used unit out of a junkyard, cut and weld and get cheap enough hoses and a used master to do the whole job for next to nothing. When it comes to speed parts, NO expense is spared. There are guys here complaining about their brakes dragging, and other problems, and I haven't seen anyone that can solve all of these problems. It's your car and your family riding in it.

well, oddly enough, when i came on here 5 years ago, talking about the hydsroboost, no one here had ever heard of a hydroboost, nor converting the powermaster system to hydroboost. Now, it seems to be the favorite topic. I have given excellent advice here, for free. Brakes are the misunderstood part of a car, it seems. Bosch would not have granted me a special distributorship for their new hydroboosts, unless they feel i was well qualified. I offer new units from bosch, which no auto parts stores can do. Bosch only builds new hydroboosts for the automakers directly. Nothing for the replacement market.
Now that hydroboost interest has been built here, i see people going to the auto parts store to buy rebuilt units, and try to engineer a brake system. Few auto parts store clerks have brake expertise. Worse, they go to the junkyard, and get a unit off of a150,000 mile van or something, and then cut and weld the pedal rod. They cobble up a bracket, and then have problems. The pedal ratio is critical, the length of the rod is critical. When they do this and have problems, they blame the hydroboost, instead of the installer. Some of this is unsafe. These new units are reasonably priced, guaranteed by bosch and fit and work right. They will outlive the car. I bet you, or i could get a 150,000 mile used unit out of a junkyard, cut and weld and get cheap enough hoses and a used master to do the whole job for next to nothing. When it comes to speed parts, no expense is spared. There are guys here complaining about their brakes dragging, and other problems, and i haven't seen anyone that can solve all of these problems. It's your car and your family riding in it.

And you're not a supporting vendor. Cease and desist now Bob! Final warning!

Not only that but he's never heard of a 1984 Grand National and its' braking system. :rolleyes:

Yeah I never heard of a hydroboost system until some B.S. Salesman mentioned it here before he ripped people off. :rolleyes:

If one of you catch Bob posting his crap again PM me or SGRIM immediately please. This really is his final warning and I have already asked Shane to get rid of him. We need your help if he does it again.:mad:

Back