You can type here any text you want

I-pod

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

JRC86GN

Hi

I was woundering if their is an easy way to install a I-pod when using the factory radio? I do not want to use a fm transmiter.

thanks
Jack

sorry no easy way for a good digital sound,but if you know someone with some electronics back ground and an soldering iron;
take a 1/8" to 1/8" banana jack cable (3ft long) cut one end off,solder the leads to the tape head (you'll see the three output leads going to the mother board)on the tape deck,connect the remaining jack to the headphone output of the ipod.you will have to trip the tape deck into locked/loaded position.any competent electronics repair guy can do this.
you will have the closest to dig as you can get with the old Buick/delco deck.

when I had my old Tahoe I just used a tape deck adapter. It's a dummy tape cassette with a male plug that will fit any portable audio device with a headphone jack. sounded WAY better than an FM transmitter device, it was less than $20 and it was as easy as plugging in a set of headphones and popping a cassette in the tape player.

I'd give you my old one, but I tossed it after I sold my Tahoe.

here's the one I had.....

Amazon.com: Maxell P-10 Cassette Adapter: Electronics

anyone with an xm radio may have one laying around too.....good point:p

sorry no easy way for a good digital sound,but if you know someone with some electronics back ground and an soldering iron;
take a 1/8" to 1/8" banana jack cable (3ft long) cut one end off,solder the leads to the tape head (you'll see the three output leads going to the mother board)on the tape deck,connect the remaining jack to the headphone output of the ipod.you will have to trip the tape deck into locked/loaded position.any competent electronics repair guy can do this.

what is a banana jack cable ?

thanks
Jack

what is a banana jack cable ?

thanks
Jack

here ya go.the one shown is mono,make sure the jack you buy is stereo(mono has two terminals,stereo has three on each end of the jack).

Attachments

• 06-20-08_0854.jpg
    06-20-08_0854.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 226
Depending on where you go and who you talk to they might know it as a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable. Just throwing that out there..

FM transmitter

Directed WFM-100.

This goes directly into the antenna input of the radio so no interference. I tried lots of fm wireless transmitter and nothing can beat the directed piece. I know sound is restricted going through the fm but this one sound alot better than the ones I tried out, this will be another good alternative over trying to get into the tape head.

Alot of the new GPS units also have an MP3 player in them. I went the tape adapter (Belkin- $20 at Best Buy) which allows me to pipe the GPS voice and MP3 through the stock cassette deck/ sound system. The voice command will take precedent over the music(good thing). With my car's exhaust volume, it was very hard to hear the GPS unit at max volume with it's internal cheesy speaker. This is a good way to expand your sounds especially with units that have the SD expansion card slot and still look stock/ factory original.

Directed WFM-100.

This goes directly into the antenna input of the radio so no interference. I tried lots of fm wireless transmitter and nothing can beat the directed piece. I know sound is restricted going through the fm but this one sound alot better than the ones I tried out, this will be another good alternative over trying to get into the tape head.

that sounds like a good alturnitive
Jack

when I had my old Tahoe I just used a tape deck adapter. It's a dummy tape cassette with a male plug that will fit any portable audio device with a headphone jack. sounded WAY better than an FM transmitter device, it was less than $20 and it was as easy as plugging in a set of headphones and popping a cassette in the tape player.

I've heard these are not very effective.....???

Hey Gary, can you just tap into the wires off the head? Or do you actually have to mount the wires on the head? :confused:

I use a cassete ipod adapter in my other car, and the sound is awesome. Be sure to get the wire that connects to the bottom of the ipod ( dock connection) sounds way better than the headphone, and also you don't have to bother with turning sound up on ipod to match the sound coming from the headunit etc. I highly recommend this thing. It cost me $6 shipped off ebay and is made by Griffin. Its called a smartdeck. Hope this helps. no stereo hissing or etc. I'll help you find the ebay user if you want.

http://img.zdnet.com/techDirectory/_IPODTAP.JPG

Back