I think I found the right GN

JustinOhio

There's one here in my town I think I'm going to buy this week... 87 with 53k miles... Very clean, runs great. Rear main seal is leaking and he said it started doing it when he changed to synthetic oil. Anyways, the sale price of the car is $8500, which seems to be a good deal. I really don't know much about fixing motors so I have no idea what's involved or how much it's going to cost me to fix the seal, or even if I could do it myself. Any comments on the price, or fixing it???

-Justin

Thats' a good price if the car is nice! Perhaps if you switch to dino oil the leak will go away. Even if you end up having to change it, 53k miles is low and it's worth putting the time or money into it. FYI, My car has 40k miles and is on it's SECOND rear main...and it's leaking. :)

My car is about to turn 12K miles and it is starting to leak. They all leak. I would say no more than $300 to fix it if you go to someone who knows what they are doing.

It's almost pointless to fix the rear main. I thought I did a good job the last time I changed mine. It only lasted six months... :(

My only thought would be to check crank end play first. Rear seals do leak though. Sounds like a great deal for you though.