I think my alternator is making a rapping sound...(video inside)

"Turbo-T"

V6 on steroids
YouTube - Alternator

It might be hard to hear but if you watch the video that I posted, you can hear it at the :02 mark, then at the :08 mark it does it again, twice. Those are the only times it does it.

When it does this if I grab the alternator I can feel it thru the case. I can't seem to feel it anywhere else.

At first I thought it was the tensioner, but now I don't think so.

According to my Scanmaster, it's producing 13.8-14.2 at idle.

I'm wondering if this a bad bearing or ?????????

SUBMIT TO MTV QUICKLY! Lets make some cash off of this.

JK bro.. I believe it might be the bearing.. I've had the same issue once. I just replaced it. Solved the issue.

Bearing is staring to go I would say too. Is there any volt drop? if you have a way to take temp on it after a short run you should see a big diff from front and back if front bearing is realy going out.

Is there any volt drop? if you have a way to take temp on it after a short run you should see a big diff from front and back if front bearing is realy going out.

I don't think there's any volt drop. The alternator puts out 13.8-14.2 when running.

Where would you recommend I purchase a quality alternator? I want one that is going to last me a long time.

Also I noticed this is a serpentine set up. I imagine it's going to be a bitch to change out the alt by having to hold back the belt? Any tips you can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Also something I forgot to mention is this only does this at idle. Under normal driving I don't hear it doing it at all.

Also something I forgot to mention is this only does this at idle. Under normal driving I don't hear it doing it at all.

Bet it's happing still. Release the belt by turning the tensioner and sliding the belt off, very easy.

Maybe take the belt off, start the engine. Noise gone?
While it's off, turn the alt by hand.. Brg feel rough? Same tests for wp, and tensioner....

Also, the alt brg is the same as is in the tensioner pulley. How about changing the brgs, instead of buying a new alt??

Well I bit the bullet and purchased a remanned alternator from Napa.

I took the old one off and spun it by hand, it spins freely but I did notice it had a slight wobble to it, as if the shaft were bent.

I also went ahead and sprayed some grease around the tensioner area.

I found it was easiest to remove the air intake stuff off of the turbo, which gave me full access to the tensioner.