You can type here any text you want

I want to put 12" brakes on my gn.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

11secondgs

I want to put 12" brakes on my gn. I want to do it cheapest way possible.

From what car and year of cars do I get the spindles? I think everything else I can buy at napa true?

I don't have money to buy baer or other aftermarket, but need the stopping power as my gn sees high speeds on the back roads.

do you know of any steering problems with this set up?

Bumpsteer. To correct it fabrication is needed to lower the inside tierod.

As for uca's those aftermarket high end control arms are too expensive. I wouldn't call it a budget brake swap then. Some circle track companies have the right length uca's for $100 a set. I'm even too cheap for that. I shortenend up my stock uca's.:cool:

why not put a 1LE rotor on the stock spindle and do a little fab work to mount up the calipers?

why not put a 1LE rotor on the stock spindle and do a little fab work to mount up the calipers?

The rotor offsets are different. The inside of the 1le rotor mounted on a g-body spindle would be close or maybe even rubbing the spindle and there would not be enough room to use the existing dust shield mounting holes for a caliper mount bracket.

The rotor offsets are different. The inside of the 1le rotor mounted on a g-body spindle would be close or maybe even rubbing the spindle and there would not be enough room to use the existing dust shield mounting holes for a caliper mount bracket.
i wouldn't use the tiny dust shield bolts for a caliper bracket- i'd build the bracket off the existing caliper mounting bolt holes and make an adapter plate like i had to do when i put 90's Vette brakes with the PBR caliper on the stock spindles in my '71 Nova.
anyways, what part of the spindle would it hit?

question for you guys.....I have the ssbc slotted rotors and the ssbc nice calipers for my 10.5" stock brakes...........

Would the calipers be the same as the 12" calipers????

Basically would I want to use those calipers on my 12" setup or would they be different and too small?

i wouldn't use the tiny dust shield bolts for a caliper bracket- i'd build the bracket off the existing caliper mounting bolt holes

When g-body and b-body spindles are modified for adapter brackets the existing caliper mount holes are eliminated. The tiny dust shield bolt holes are drilled and tapped for larger bolts.

what part of the spindle would it hit?

I don't have a g-body spindle to try it out. I threw them away when I did the b-body swap. B-body rotors are offset towards the inside. I did measure .310in offset difference between the b-body rotor and g-body rotor. So it most likely won't rub but would be close. Would there be enough room for a mounting bracket? Possible to mount a bracket to the existing caliper mounting holes? I did a search when concidering ls1 or corvette brake and all the brackets mounted to the dust plate mouting holes. Niether would work with my Gta wheels. There isn't a alot of room for a caliper bracket between the factory rotor and dust plate holes of a unmodified spindle so with a b-body rotor on a g-body spindle you'll have .310in less room.

question for you guys.....I have the ssbc slotted rotors and the ssbc nice calipers for my 10.5" stock brakes...........

Basically would I want to use those calipers on my 12" setup or would they be different and too small?

The 11in and 12in rotor calipers are different (larger) than what is concidered metric calipers than come on g-bodys. Large style calipers measure approximately 7" between mounting holes, 1978 newer "metric" calipers measure approximately 5-1/2" between mounting holes.

How does that setup work for you? i was considering the bolt on calipers from SSBC to go on my GN with new braided stainless lines. If you cant use your setup with the bigger rotors would you consider selling what your have?

Scott

How does that setup work for you? i was considering the bolt on calipers from SSBC to go on my GN with new braided stainless lines. If you cant use your setup with the bigger rotors would you consider selling what your have?

Scott

It works about twice as good as stock, as long as you don't street race with over 500HP, which is where I am at. The brakes do work well, but I want to go to the really big 12" which will help slow me down more quicker.

But if you don't do what I do on the backroads, then my setup is a definate upgrade.

send me a PM. I have the SSBC heavy duty sloted rotors, sport 10 calipers and awesome pads, all the stuff less than 2 seasons old, maybe 3000 miles total. Basically brand new. Its yours if you want it so speak up now.

Performance Disc Brake Search Results from Stainless Steel Brakes Corporation (SSBC) - calipers

Performance Disc Brake Search Results from Stainless Steel Brakes Corporation (SSBC) - rotors

BELLTECH Sport Trucks - GM | Cars - 2" drop spindles and the springs that come with them.

Belltech Lowering Coil Springs: BEL-5100 - summitracing.com springs and spindle are over $350.00 this is a good deal for somebody reading this post.

$625 shipped takes it all to your door. All these parts are less then 3K miles and a serious bolt on upgrade.

let me know.

I went with the global west uppers with f-body spindles.the only thing that sucks is I installed eibach lowering springs not knowing that f-body spindles lower car an inch. Well the body is still off the frame so i guess i will wait to see how it sits.Do b-body spindles lower car?

Back