IAC pintle adjustment

Junior Samples

Walk Away
I do not wish to match up my new one with one in car, I believe the pintle position may be off cause it seems like im over compensating in my adjustments so my Q is---

What distance from gasket mount to tip of pintle? I see anything over 28mm is too long. Or does it really matter as long as its under 28mm?

Car ran like good this weekend but still funky idle

Thanks
Mike

It doesn't make any difference as long as it's under 28mm when installing it. The computer will adjust it depending on throttle position and programmed idle speed. Define "funky idle"

re

just bugs in this car from sitting for 7 years after new rebuild, Idle fluc's up and down 300r's, slight miss at idle as well. ( cleared my wires, plugs and coil pack as best i could with out load test)

Ive only had it a month so obvious, change fuel filter, bought scanmaster and while my int is 128 my bl is around 112, ive been back and forth with my iac and my tps.
when i put it to the wood its right where it should be on 02 but to back up Ive put stock chip back in because hot chip was custom made and i'll be going with a TT but after i get my new injectors which could still be cause of slight miss.

but once again im old chevy guy so for this winter i may wind up trippin over dollars to pick up dimes till i get it right but then again do i want mild er wild! damn yu fellas got some goodies under dem hoods and my women told me if i sunk any more money into them toys she would...well

sure gonna miss her

thanks for response

A hunting idle usually means an air and/or vacuum leak somewhere or a misadjusted IAC/throttle stop. Make sure there is no leaks between the MAF and the throttle body. Check all the vacuum lines for leaks. Definitley go with a TT chip. What is your IAC reading at idle?

re

iac idle

thats where i figured id drop Q because it seems im cranking screw in to set my iac which roams inbetween 120 and 130 then my tps, then have to reset iac, then tps again so forth and so on.

Ive checked for hrs on leaks, sprayed all over, drank a beer, removed each line and checked with vac gun, drank another, checked purge, charcol, egr but my vac gauge only reads 14 steady and i know i should be at 17 inches.

right now its a pain in the ass but i'll get it, just thank god for you people

mike

What procedure are you using to adjust your throttle stop. Your IAC's are way too high. Are those numbers in gear or in neutral? Is the engine at operating temp when your taking your reading? Your IAC's should typically be in the 20-30 range in gear, at idle, and at operating temp.

re

err sorry TYPO on IAC reading, its around 25.
Last night I changed my IAC and the pintle was over 28mm and bent...lol so much for this Buick engineer here in Flint who built this motor for the guy i purchased it from.

As soon as i seen the Y restrictor to the turbo/waste on backwards a few weeks back I kinda knew i was in for undoing some cobble work.

Anyway I changed the IAC, reset, BUT my idle is still about 150 rpms or so up and down, maybe more but motor idles like a smallblock with 510 solid lift and it should not , mild poston 107 cam

Next thing im going to try is my power steering switch, ive read if it keeps clicking on my IAC will compensate thus causing rough idle.

I pulled out the gasket on vac block and it looked like a leaker so I made another, (leather punches work great) installed, and 15 inches of vac, up an inch but still rough idle.

Could still have injector issues due to car sitting with no Stabil added ever,... i keep thinking of bowl from mikuni carb one time, looked like 1/2 inch of maple syrup.

Anyway bought another can of carb spray and doused around intake, doghouse etc and no change on my tester vac gauge but If its a winter project then i'll pull the motor and redo it so at least i know its done right or at least i'll know who to blame if i deposit mains along the road..lol

The Chip you asked about looks home made, sticker on top says stage3 lync tech.

Seriously i think this was built by guy whos ego was writing checks his motor cant cash but i did get good deal:biggrin:

I'll sink six into it and have nice driver for under 13

any more ideas please let me know thanks

mike