IB setups?

BuickMike

Money pit
Who has run infinate baffle setups in their car? How did it sound? What was the setup? Whenever I start putting my car back together again I will probably use my JBL 1000GTi sub. After looking at the spec sheet I noticed that it works well as a freeair sub and it made me wonder how it would sound in the GN in a infinite baffle setup. Right now I have it in a 2 cubic foot box ported at 38hz and it is real nice. I haven't tried it in the GN yet though. Years ago I had a friend with a Cutlass Supreme with 2 Kicker 10" freeair subs running off of a Coustic 360 and it was insanely loud for what it was. A link to my spec sheet is below.

http://www.jbl.com/resources/Brands...ocuments/en-US/BoxesandParameters/1000GTI.pdf

I have tried the IB setups they do work and sound ok. I like a sealed box much better or even ported.
Have fun with it and Good luck.

I would think it would work well, I heard those subs are good in an IB application.

That is a great sub by the way!

Hey Rick! To this day the old school GTI subs are still my favorite. I've had this one for a long time, but haven't really used it much due to the large enclosure requirements. It also needs alot of power. I've never heard one in a IB setup yet. I just noticed that it looks like it works well based on the spec sheet. After I get my car back from Heath I will putting together some old school audio for it.

Free air works, with a good sub. ;)

DSC01972.jpg

Nice!! Are those 12's or 15's? Any details on how it sounded? Do you think my single 10" will be enough? That is how my friend baffled off his Kicker 10's.

Sorry about the late reply, forgot about this thread. :oops:

12's with only 100 watts RMS into each woofer, Kenwood Amp.

Plenty loud for me approx. 120 db.

That's awesome. My 10" GTi sub doesn't seem to really pound until you hit it with at least 200w RMS. Then it is loud. I have 300w RMS going to a Boston 10" G1 sub in a ported box in my Titan. That sounds really good, but when I dumped the JBL in the back seat with the 2' ported box it just killed the Boston in SPL. Super clean and musical too. I will have to try it in IB and see what happens.

Key to ib setup is to seal the baffle...you do not want sound waves from rear of sub to cancel the front...i use sound deadner for this....my setup had two tens...sounded good...

I've got little wings made out of wood and lots of caulk you can sort of see to attempt the sealing.

I also had access to a real time analyzer for setup and have a very old school Sony 3 way crossover with some highly adjustable crossover slopes and points and it has bass boost and equalization.

Old school Audio Control line drivers too. :p

I've got rear pics. but they aren't pretty! o_O

Subs. are tight in there and not held in by anything but 5/8 plywood baffle and lots of angle type brackets. :eek:

But in spite of the crappy wiring I've only broken one or two fine wire connections off in about 20 years now....

Factory trunk light wire which is fat has broken twice in that time period from flexing. :oops: :rolleyes:

Next time I'll use 3/4 plywood or strong mdf or half inch Marine plywood, strength with small size is key to fitting them inside the lip or trunk hinge area, I use the trunk all the time for full size winter spare, tools etc.......

Didn't have a good pic. but took a new one.

It's hard to seal around the trunk hinge area but sound deadener is a good idea. :)

I think I have a few extra spare wires, note the cool 1980 blue capacitor for my 1979 Zapco amp.

I think that baby is around .25 F. :p

Believe it or not everything works. :eek:;)

DSC02168.jpg