You can type here any text you want

I'd say it was about a tie

• Thread starter Thread starter Captain Mark
  • Start date Start date

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
C

Captain Mark

Cruising around in the convertible last night and I see a C5 vette roll by. He is looking at my car as he goes by and revs a little. So I get in behind him. We make our way to the service road, he speeds up while heading to the highway. I am right on his tail. We enter the highway doing around 60. Once the vette gets on the highway he floors it. He has about 10 car lengths on me. I floor it also. By the time we are going 140-145 mph, I am right behind him. It is hard to tell how fast we are going because my speedometer only goes to 120, but the needle had passed 120 and is pointing straight down! Oh yeah, I had the top down! We ran into some traffic and had to shut it down. He was cool and tapped his tail lights, I waved and exited. I know this isn't a turbo kill, but i'm holding the Buick flag high! Nothing like taming a 58k sports car with an old Buick!

I hope you have a brake upgrade or that thing would take three miles to slow down from a buck 45. If you reeled a C-5 in the triple digits then you won

Nothing like going 145 mph with drum brakes!
hmmmm.........maybe a parachute would be better......:p

To have the NADS (A.K.A. Balls) to go that fast for that long in a 1970 car you WON!!! :)

Derrick

Captain Mark... you are indeed a brave soul and you definitely held the Buick banner high with that jaunt!:) Front drums on your GS, huh? I have the front discs on my 70 GS but lack the will or cohones to take on a C5 or those speeds with mine. Bet that was a major (wind) rush too with the ragtop down! You might have taken him with the top up on if it could stand those speeds. Good luck on your TR search too. I sold my first one four yrs ago to purchase my GS but HAD to have another and bought the present one alittle over three yrs ago. Best of both worlds for sure with the GS and TR!

Thanks for the props boys.
Going 145 in ANY car is not really safe I guess, and I am NOT condoning this irresponsible behavior!

But it sure is fun!:cool:

Evans you have 2 of the cars I love. The GS and the turbo Regal! I will have one someday. Then I will have to find an old Riviera someday to top it off!

Buick has truly made THE most under rated cars in history.

145 in a convertable! bet that cooled things down. Hey if you reeled that Vette in you WON! I am sure you had him talkin to himself the rest of the nite.

455 bored 30 over. Block has been decked to provide 10 to 1 compression. New pistons, cam, complete rebuild. Iron heads have been ported. Edelbrock Performer Intake with Edelbrock 800cfm carb. Poston headers. This motor is making somewhere around 425 - 450 HP with at least 500 lb. ft. of torque.
This is the typical, easy rebuild of the Buick 455 motor. It is a pretty salty engine in it's stock form. Some guys over at V8Buick.com have some REALLY bad motors.
Still have the highway gears in the car. Either 2.56 or 2.73 rear end, not sure of that. I kinda hate to change the gears. I'll lose my top end! I'll probably go to the 3.08 posi soon.

Here are some pics.http://community.webshots.com/album/35981190aksOiV

Captain Mark!

One beautiful car!

455's are monsters. I met a guy with a 455 powered '66 Skylark at the illegals a couple months back.

He had a rebuilt short block, mild cam, performer manifold, holley carb, headers, and I believe some head work, and gears, and was running 12's! He had the timeslips to prove it too.

The way it seems yours is running, with a gear swap you might be in that ballpark as well. Ever run your car at the track?

I haven't run it yet, but with the new rear end, it should easily be in the 12's. These cars are kinda like the turbos, not very hard to get into the 12's. They make so much low end torque you can get into the 12's even with a 3.08 or 3.23 rear end. I'll proabably stick with a 3.08. I'm not wanting a race car, just something respectable on the street.

Gotta love Buicks baby!:cool:

Yeah my wife worked with an engineer who had a built GS, Stage I? He's taken on a few GN's and beaten them. At least its all in the family.

It is no disgrace to get beaten by the Stage 1. You will be in good company! There is a guy at www.V8Buick.com who has a wheelstanding Skylark wagon! Insane power from those motors.

Think I'm gonna trade the Mini-van

I think a 1970 Stage I would make a perfect family car, now if I can just convince my wife. :p - BB

Back