You can type here any text you want

identify these lower control arms

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

6gunn

high on gas fumes
Does anyone recognize these LCAs and can explain how they work in providing better traction over the stock setup? There's an extra pivot point and I'm curious as to how it works.They're fully boxed and are all black with no markings anywhere. Also, they look to have holes drilled for a sway bar, and I'd like to put one back on the car if possible. I can take better pics tomorrow if needed. Thanks.

(click to zoom)
ikuPc35.jpg

Looks like Southside Machine bars with relocating plates. The plates were used to change the pinion angle. They're good but "old school" and are now replaced by adjustable lower control arms which do the same job.

Claude.

They change the ic to promote anti squat to plan the tires. Same as moving the upper arms up with no hop bars.

I have Kenne Bell lift bars that look the same and do the same thing as the Southside Machine as mentioned above.
UMI Performance offers the relocating plates/ brackets now as well.

I couldn't tell from the pics if they have urethane bushings or not. The Southside Machine bars I had were made with solid bushings. I wouldn't recommend them for a street car as they transmit a lot of vibration into the frame which can lead to cracks at the attach points. If they do have solid bushings you should do a close inspection of the frame.

Neal

They are indeed solid bushings. I'll take a closer look and inspect for cracks...but it sounds like I don't really need these. The car would probably only see a few passes at the strip if I ever get a chance, and I'm gathering that these are geared more towards a drag car rather than a street car. I also got the stock lowers in a box along with all the bolts and stock swaybar, so it might be better to just get rid of these and go back to the stockers. I'd get rid of some unnecessary parts and be able to use the sway bar I already have. Thoughts?

When I had them I didn't find any great improvement in 60ft times at the dragstrip and they made the car ride worse on a daily basis. If it was me I would go back to a stock lower control arm.

Neal

I wouldnt put the stock ones back on. Get aset of direct replacements from spohn or someone else then put the bar back on, holes are already drilled.

I didn't have any cracks but the front attachment point would start to elongate the hole. I re-enforced the hole with a washer welded there and a brace. They are definitely race oriented but I personally would not remove mine. Funny story I bought a used set from a board member and he mailed them in a box that a shotgun came out of. In the post office with everyone in line staring at you, whew, true story.

I didn't have any cracks but the front attachment point would start to elongate the hole. I re-enforced the hole with a washer welded there and a brace. They are definitely race oriented but I personally would not remove mine. Funny story I bought a used set from a board member and he mailed them in a box that a shotgun came out of. In the post office with everyone in line staring at you, whew, true story.
Thats really funny. Seller probably got the same stares mailing them.

Back