AVOID MOOG Problem Solver control arm bushings...for now

Anthony P

sharing knowledge with those who care to listen
Federal Mogul/Moog has an inventory control/quality control problem with the Moog K6421 Problem Solver bushing kit for the front, lower control arms - front and rear bushings.

This upgraded bushing kit is supposed to contain 4 bushings as pictured below - one of each size for the driver's side and passenger side.
1545578374885.png

what has been received on 4 different orders by me and another TB owner is pictured below...
1545578541084.jpg

One random bushing? Moog "guru's" chassis tech support confirmed the product kit has not changed - has to contain all 4 bushings so both sides can be done. Thinking it was a one-off event, replacements were ordered only to get the same result.

Even though these parts were ordered through Advance Auto parts, it doesn't matter as the Moog parts are drop shipped directly from Federal Mogul, 2100 Midway Lane, Smyrna, TN - all orders shipped from this location. All have the same date code 1518277-P which translates to a production date of 151st day of 2018. So I conclude this whole batch is crap.

I did inform Federal Mogul corporate of this problem and am waiting for a call from the Smyrna, TN location. Told them I have no confidence in their products until they address this matter. Why would I potentially waste more of my time fixing Federal Mogul's problems if I order the K6411 kit for the front uppers or four K6178 kits to do the rear or any other chassis or steering components if they can't even correctly supply a simple bushing kit?

It is pretty sad to have to explain to the Advance counter reps that a label noting contents are 1 kit means more than one item. only when a customer is pleasantly convincing enough to get them to pull the part info on their computer to see what it is supposed to be do you get anywhere. and at first their only solution was to re-order the part again when it is clear there is a problem with the inventory at Federal Mogul.

Last edited:
It's been a month, so I thought I'd attempt an update....but I have no answers from Federal Mogul yet. no idea about when the K6421 lower control arm bushing kit will go back into production or when parts will be released to re-fill the inventory supply chain.

there is another thread that @KC_WE4 started about the similar problem with the OE rubber lower control arm bushing kit, K6177, only having one random bushing and not the pair as pictured for the lca. He had bought them via RockAuto and Amazon - both orders had the same problem of only one bushing.
https://turbobuick.com/threads/moog-k6177.461968/

For continuity, here is a copy of the communication I sent to Federal Mogul back in December...
**********************************************************************************************************************************************
To: per.orders@FMMotorsports.com
Subject: Moog K6421 Inventory control - wrong parts in product boxes
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2018 02:12:55 GMT

19 December 2018,

Dear Josie,

Per our conversation earlier today, I am forwarding the requested documentation. A recap of the matter is as follows:

Order # 96611918 was placed 14 Dec 2018 via the Advance website. A copy of that order is attached. Moog K6421 Problem Solver bushing kit was drop shipped directly from the 2100 Midway Lane, Smyrna, TN warehouse and was received on 17 Dec 2018. While the product box appears undamaged and is labeled correctly, the contents of the box are wrong. Instead of the kit containing the 4 lower control arm bushings as pictured and described on both the AAP and Moog websites, the box contained a single bushing. That bushing has the plain rusty gray colored shell of a standard bushing. Even the economy, standard bushings are sold in pairs so I conclude the box contents have been swapped. A picture of the box label is attached noting the date code of 1518277-P.

A telephone call to Advance's customer service team (877-ADVANCE) went nowhere. The rep was not interested that the contents of the box were wrong. I was dismissed to re-order the part and/or return the item to my local store for a refund. After some insistence, my local AAP store # 07861 agreed to re-order the K6421 kit. As a courtesy, I decided to give a head's up to the Moog tech support team (800.325.8886). I spoke with suspension product rep Chuck on 17 Dec 2018 not so much as to complain but to make aware of a matter that a product box did not contain the correct parts. Chuck confirmed the K6421 kit product image should be what is in the box. When I shared that there were no cad-yellow plated bushings, only a single generic rusty gray steel-cased one, and one only, he remarked how the kit is supposed to contain the lower control arm bushings for both the right and left sides. Chuck continued to note that is why the product is sold in kit form - that these are the upgraded bushings, like poly, and can't be installed on only one side. In order to file the heads up "complaint" notice, he needed the date code from the label which the local AAP store provided the picture thereof. The date code was forwarded to Chuck so that a complaint could be filed. As I understand, this product was made the 151st day of 2018.

Today I received a call from the local AAP store noting the re-ordered Moog part was received. I asked the rep to confirm the box contents and so I learned the problem has repeated itself. This replacement order contains a single economy bushing like the first order, not the 4 bushing kit as pictured and described. Knowing now this is not a one-off occurrence, I decided to contact you to share the information I believe there is an inventory control problem with the K6421 kit and that the parts should be pulled from warehouse stock to inspect and confirm before any other customers like me encounter this same problem. The product received today has the same date code. A picture of the single bushing and box part label received today is attached.

Also attached are images of the shipping box label, the shipping order receipt/packing slip from the Federal Mogul facility. And the same from the re-order received today at the local AAP store.

Our turbo Buick community is a small group. Many of us have already put our cars away for the winter season and are beginning winter maintenance and upgrade projects. I am beginning a complete chassis restoration for my '87 Grand National. Many of the OE parts for steering and suspension were Moog parts supplied to GM. There are many discussions on our turbobuick.com forum noting the best selection for control arm bushings for a street car are the Moog Problem Solvers up front (K6411 & K6421) and the K6178s for the rear. I have a long list of Moog parts I was expecting to purchase - not only these control arm bushings but also upper and lower ball joints, stabilizer bar bushings and end links, steering parts, springs and spring isolators and Problem solver control arm shafts. However, I am very hesitant to proceed with ordering any more Moog parts as a result of not being able to receive the correct parts in either the first order or the second order of a simple bushing kit.

In addition, I expect I will have a little mud on my face in the coming days. Per my instruction, another Grand National owner doing the same winter project work as me, also ordered the K6421 bushing kit. I would expect he will have the same problem as I have if that Moog kit is shipped from that Smyrna, TN location. A courtesy copy of his AAP order is attached. Perhaps this problem reaches all the way back to Mexico where the kit was manufactured and packaged.

Thank-you for giving me the opportunity to present this matter. I'm hoping this matter is just contained to one warehouse location and is not a system wide matter. However, it is beginning to look like this entire date code is junk. I look forward to receiving your comments and recommendations.

*******************************************************************************************************************************************

I'll update this thread when I get answers from Federal Mogul.

Thanks for the info. I have been using energy suspension bushings in my other cars with no problems. So when I I have to replace the ones in my buick I'm staying away from them .

thx Anthony P
your research and dedication is unprecedented
looking to replace mine
might go with AC delcos

Probably just one factory in China that packages them for each "manufacturer". :unsure:

Yep that's pretty sad themoog stuff actually is not that good anyway I know they plant there stickers all over NASCAR and everywhere else but actually they are castparts like tie rod ends,centerlinks any type of front or rear suspension components are cast I use the Napa stuff which is forged, way better.

been looking at Detroit axle they are us company and made in the USA stuff anyone use before

https://www.detroitaxle.com/?s=Part Finder&pfs=true&filters[vehicle_year]=1987&filters[vehicle_make]=Buick&filters[vehicle_model]=Regal&filters[part_type]=Steering+Center+Link&filters[vehicle_submodel]=Grand+National&product_id=

Looks like Moog k6421 is now shipping correct as I just received:rolleyes: mine and they are correct. Can't wait to get them installed soon!

I like they include struts on that Detroit axle link when I searched 1987 Buick regal.

Looks like Moog k6421 is now shipping correct as I just received:rolleyes: mine and they are correct. Can't wait to get them installed soon!
Before you install them, You might want to think things over before you start to remove the lower A frame.
I just finished replacing both wheels upper, and lower ball joints, upper and lower bushings, and since I remove the spring I also replaced both springs.
Why do double work of replacing the lower bushings when in the near future you might need to replace the upper bushings or ball joints. If you're going to do that work just do it once and not twice in replacing all, especially compressing the spring, removing it and then reinstall the compressed spring back, which I hated to work with compressed springs.

Thanks gnonyx. Yes I'm going to replace all the bushings all the ball joints but not the front springs as I believe they are heavy duty and should not need to be replaced. Plus it's an 86 so they're a little bit different than an 87 and I'm not sure you can even find the correct springs with the correct heights. I appreciate your input and you're right once will be enough
Steve c