You can type here any text you want

idler arm wont split from center link.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Drewster

Wish I Had A Clone. AKA Andrew Youlio
i cant get my idler arm to separate from the center link. I have used the pickle fork and and a heavy hammer, ive also tried to beat it out with a long punch.
any other options?
will a pitman arm puller work or a tie rod puller?
Andrew

Pickle fork (the small one for tie rods, not the big one for ball joints) and the big hammer should do the trick.
Maybe spray some PB Blaster and let it soak for a while, then beat the fork in until it won't go anymore and then tap (beat) on the side of the hole in the center link to help break the tension. Go back and forth until it separates.
Oh, one question: you DID take the nut off, right?
This job takes me about ten seconds with my air hammer and tie rod fork, not to gloat.

thanks

thanks for the advice. i have the nut loose with 1/2 in showing but still engaging the treads so i can beat the nut instead of the centerlink stud.
I will try the BPblaster. Ive been useing a 5lb hamer and a pickle fork, and by the 3-4th smack, the fork pops off. I'll try a 3 lb hamer so i can keep one hand on the fork and acurately hit the end.
let ya know how it goes. i may wind up getting the ball joint separator if the fork doesnt work.
Andrew

Check some of the parts stores in the area. Some like Autozone have tools like this to rent or borrow.

David
87GN

had to remove Center link and Idler together

i did go and get the smaller pickle fork for tie rod ends. still didnt work. wound up trying to rent, beg, borrow a puller to split them. couldnt get anything today.
so i pulled off the centerlink and idler together and pickle forked them on the floor. i wasn't able to spilt them when hitting from the same side i was working on, but as soon as i flipped it over, it popped with one or two smacks.
(i was glad the pitman side of the centerlink popped with 2 smacks and the tie rods also came apart easily)

Thanks for your help. and yes i did put on anti seize this time.

Andrew

Back