If Interested here are my new PL files

KEVINS

No big deal if you want to review or not.

Combo:
Stock Long Block
Turbo 5831

42.5 inj
30psi
Alchy Inj
Hot Wired XP pump
New O2 Senor

I can see several issues that I suspected so I'm in the process of figuring out the best method to solve them. The TPS reads lower on PL than it does on my Scanmaster so I'll have to adjust that again.

These two runs compare fueling changes in my TT chip to compare O2's and injector Duty Cycle.

The default fueling in the TT chip in the BLM cell is 128 and the first run shows that run, just scroll to the end of the run to see it.
The second file shows after I changed the BLM cell to 150 adding a lot more fuel.

The boost reading on PL was 30-31psi but I'm not sure it was really that high. I need to compare the voltage off the MAP sensor to see how accurate it is. The last time I had my boost gauge hooked up it read 26psi (it was not connected for these runs) and that's what I expected to see but it's a lot higher according to PL..

I also added a third file that shows false knock while sitting in my driveway. All did was stab the throttle real fast and the KR showed up. This is the BS I've been fighting so I'll have Knock Ignore enabled.

Happy Looking
ks

Attachments

• BL128.dat
    71.9 KB · Views: 58
  • BL150.dat
    69.3 KB · Views: 50
  • quick floor.dat
    30 KB · Views: 53
Update. I wired the MAP to 5V and it decreased the boost reading about 1.5-2psi than those logs attached so those readings are closer to 28.5-30psi...

ks

Interesting data. That's a very quick spooling turbo: 0-30lbs in ~1sec!

Looks like the KR is happening at the 2nd to 3rd gear shift in the 1st two logs. It's probably false. Maybe something banging around under the car like the DP or exhaust?

Also, the injector duty cycles looks nearly maxed, even in the 1st log with the preset fueling value at 128. In the 2nd log, it's over 100% under boost with the WOT fueling turned up. 60 pounders may give you a little more margin at those boost levels.

Just my 2 cents. Thanks for sharing.

Interesting data. That's a very quick spooling turbo: 0-30lbs in ~1sec!

Looks like the KR is happening at the 2nd to 3rd gear shift in the 1st two logs. It's probably false. Maybe something banging around under the car like the DP or exhaust?

Also, the injector duty cycles looks nearly maxed, even in the 1st log with the preset fueling value at 128. In the 2nd log, it's over 100% under boost with the WOT fueling turned up. 60 pounders may give you a little more margin at those boost levels.

Just my 2 cents. Thanks for sharing.

Yea, those are my conclusions too. Even tho the boost is at 30psi it will be dialed in with another 3-4psi so I need to make sure the injectors/fueling is adequate.
The tranny has a really bad 2-3 flare so I try to let out of it before the shift and just evaluate the runs in 2nd gear. I couldn't remember if I let out of it in these logs or not..

ks

TPS looks constant through the shift & KR spikes, so I don't think you let off. Have you tried making the 2-3 shift manually? Just curious.

TPS looks constant through the shift & KR spikes, so I don't think you let off. Have you tried making the 2-3 shift manually? Just curious.

There is no shift, those files are from a second gear roll around 45 mph and I let up before the shift into 3rd.
Right now I won't do any testing in 3rd until I'm comfortable with the fueling. The 2-3 shift slips pretty good so I avoid shifting into 3rd as much as possible.

ks

Both the 128 & 150 logs indicate the car shifting into 3rd around 55MPH. You can see the drop in RPM on the graph tab & check mark for 3rd gear in the data tab. Also you're up to 109MPH, and I don't think that's possible in 2nd gear.

I may be wrong, but I looked at the log files by scrolling through the frames in the graph tab , & toggling back and forth to the data tab.

Hope this helps.

Yea, that helps..
I studied them in more detail and I see the shift now. I don't remember it shifting at all but I was REALLY tuned into concentrating on the knock detector..

If these files are correct and that it's in 3rd gear then Eric says that there must be a lot of slippage b/c the RPM/MPH doesn't match unless something is slipping.. Remember it's all stock longblock.. Converter is brand new 2800 from Dusty..

THANKS A BUNCH for helping me out!!!!

ks

I'm no expert, but it may be time to refresh the tranny soon, before something actually breaks.

Mine got soft between the 2-3 shift, as soon as the Alky kit was installed & boost was turned up on the stock turbo. I didn't have a PL at the time, but could feel the RPM still building between the gear change at WOT. Actually felt like the car was still pulling hard, with little to no noticeable drop in RPM. I boosted it a few times, but didn't want to risk the carnage.

Now with the new trans, turbo, & IC the car will spin the street tires between 2nd & 3rd if I stay in it, so I know it's shifting positively. Haven't had the chance to run it with the DR's yet, but it should be fun.

I'm no expert, but it may be time to refresh the tranny soon, before something actually breaks.

Mine got soft between the 2-3 shift, as soon as the Alky kit was installed & boost was turned up on the stock turbo. I didn't have a PL at the time, but could feel the RPM still building between the gear change at WOT. Actually felt like the car was still pulling hard, with little to no noticeable drop in RPM. I boosted it a few times, but didn't want to risk the carnage.

Now with the new trans, turbo, & IC the car will spin the street tires between 2nd & 3rd if I stay in it, so I know it's shifting positively. Haven't had the chance to run it with the DR's yet, but it should be fun.

A new tranny has been on the agenda to do this winter.. I'm looking into a Stage 2 from Lonnie but I don't know if I really need/afford that much of a trans. When I get ready to purchase I'll call him and see what he thinks. Maybe a Stage 1.5 would be good.. It sucks since this one only has 500 miles on it and was built by the same guy who built Ken Moshers and Chuck Straders transmissions and this was supposed to handle 10's..

ks

Well that blows.

Do you run an external cooler or deep pan? What kind of fluid temps are you seeing?

No deep pan or cooler and I don't monitor temps.
I don't feel a 12 second car should need all that stuff to handle 1 day of racing every 2 to 3 years.. I've only put 4K miles on this car in the last 18 years so it spends more time sitting.. It's only been to the track 5 times, I think..

ks

We got a bit off topic here, anyway. I only asked b/c when I started researching typical mods for these cars , I found: 1) the trans is the first weak link when adding power beyond stock levels, and 2) it's usually heat that kills the transmissions. There is alot of literature and the experiences of others here, that validate this information.

If you consider that a stock GN was putting out approx. 200hp from the factory & you have increased that to about 300hp, you have added 50% more power. That's a significant increase, and as such, generates more heat.

When I decided to drop nearly $2k on a new trans, I wanted all the insurances I could to help make it last. BTW, I still don't know shit, so take my point of view for what it is. There are people here with alot more knowledge about this than I. Just trying to help, that's all.

We got a bit off topic here, anyway. I only asked b/c when I started researching typical mods for these cars , I found: 1) the trans is the first weak link when adding power beyond stock levels, and 2) it's usually heat that kills the transmissions. There is alot of literature and the experiences of others here, that validate this information.

If you consider that a stock GN was putting out approx. 200hp from the factory & you have increased that to about 300hp, you have added 50% more power. That's a significant increase, and as such, generates more heat.

When I decided to drop nearly $2k on a new trans, I wanted all the insurances I could to help make it last. BTW, I still don't know shit, so take my point of view for what it is. There are people here with alot more knowledge about this than I. Just trying to help, that's all.

No Problem... I agree a lot on what you're thinking..

Just an update: I ordered 60lb inj and a new chip from Eric yesterday.
I'm waiting for my fuel pressure transducer to arrive this week so I can monitor fuel psi. I plan to get a 3.5 BAR MAP sensor in the next week or so to monitor boost in the 32-35psi range.

ks