You can type here any text you want

If you could build your dream 231 turbo?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

stinkinlinkin

If you read my post about the 200 dollar riv. motor I got, you know I know nothing about the 231 turbo, but I am eager to learn.

I am looking for literature on these engines, aswell as tricks to get max. hp.

From my research on google, I know that the connecting rods from the 1981+ 231's are an upgrade, and that's about all I can find on the subject of upgrades.

So here's my question:

If you could build the ultimate junkyard special 231 turbo, what would you do?

I want max performance with streetability/reliability.

Are there any books out there to help me.

What are the best heads, rods, pistons, crank, cams, intake...etc.

I really appreciate any help, as like I said, I am a complete noob, and I want to learn as much as possible to make a really great car.

Thanx again,

Corey ;)

Turbochargers by High MacInnes
V-6 Performance by Pat Ganahl.

I'd leave the shortblock alone if it's healthy. Alcohol injection. Knock gauge. Boost gauge. Then tune, tune, tune. (ported heads would be nice.)

These motors are about lowering the knock, then upping the boost and repeating as necessary. :)

http://home.flash.net/~rjgeorge/racing.htm

Here's what I'm doing, which Rich and others will tell you is overkill for our levels of boost:

TRW forged pistons, .030 over, lightweight wrist pins, Federal Mogul "Plasma moly" rings, 763 casting "two dot" connecting rods, Turbo crank ground .010/.010 under, GN harmonic balancer, balanced rotating assembly, '82 block w/knock sensor boss cast in, oil passage mods to block and cover, Reed 210 intake /205 exhaust @.050 cam, ARP main and head studs, Manley "severe duty" 1.71" intake and 1.5" exhaust valves w/3-angle valve job, double roller timing chain, high volume oil pump spacer with thrust plate, sandwich oil cooler, 1981 intake manifold with '79 NOS M4ME carb and solenoid-acticated enrichment control (no PEVR), '81 cast exhaust manifolds w/O2 boss, stock Electronic Spark Control with Turbo distributor, MSD-6 BTM boost retard ignition box.

I'm also gathering parts to swap over to an '85-'85 hot air SFI turbo set-up with '86 electronics.

Hope that helps,
Dave

Well, Here is what I had done (past tense)

1979 HD block, bored .030" over, TRW forged pistons, balanced.
Comp 252 (206) Cam, 8445 heads ported and polished & exhaust crossovers plugged (except the center ports). 1983 intake.

T4/3 hybrid over sized turbo, coolant shut off for the carb base plate, Holley 780 vacuum secondary Carb (secondary limited to open about halfway, total CFM flow around 600.). Base plate for power valve blocked off and signal run to intake with check valve so boost doesn't get to power valve.

MSD 6btm with around 38° total timing and dialed back to around 25° at 22# of boost, I also ran a Moroso billet distributor, Mechanical timing locked out and MSD timing control 20° at idle and full timing in by 3000 rpms. Moroso 72381 coil and Ultra 40 wires.

2.5" down pipe, Beefed up Th350 tranny with a B&M 3000 stall converter (actual stall was around 3200 rpms).
GN 8.5" rear end, with 3.42 gears, posi.

28X10.5 slicks

Best ET was a 13.202 @ 100.47 MPH (which corrected out to a 12.97 when corrected to sea level).

It took many, many years to get there.

Back