Ignition Question

mongoosetoo

I seem to remember someone converting from the stock ignition/coil pack over to a "standard" GM coilpack, like those on a 90 bonneville 3.8. Where can I find it. I am not spending the $$ on the 85 coil pack to fix my hot start problem. I also would rather not buy the 87 stuff. If I'm going to do it, I'd rather buy all new stuff and be done with it.

Thanks, mongoosetoo

Based on your signature of going to the 87 engine my question is why not go with the 87 IGN now? Why screw around with the 90 Bonneville IGN.?

The way to convert and eliminate the 84/85 IGN is easy and will cost you around $300 for new parts. Used is cheaper. I have some spare parts for low cost. The expensive part is the Caspers 84/84 wiring harness conversion to the 86/87 coil module and the adaptor plate(mounting to the 84/85 bracket) for the 86/87 coil module. The Caspers parts will cost around $100 as I recall. Good luck. Brad

i would also like to know what's involved in going to the newer style ignitions with three seperate coils. GM used that setup on pretty much every V6 made from '90 or so until a couple of years ago, and there are aftermarket coils sold for them by the likes of MSD and Accel.
hell, the ultimate ignition setup would use 6 coils off a 99 and newer "gen 3" small block Chev- you know, the LS1, LS2, LS7 etc.

Maybe you should move this to the 86/87 section of the board and ask them all why they are still using their stock coils?

For the record the ultimate setup would be a Coil on Plug system.....no wires to worry about. :)

Sorry haven't updates my signature - the deal with the 87 fell through, I'm stuck with the 85 for now.

I have casper's adapter harness and 86/87 coil and module. I think thats pretty much what everybody uses.